How Can I Extract Maximum and Minimum Voltages from EKG Graphs in Excel?

• Thread starter Ush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, the subject was still as possible and the noise was most likely from breathing. The relationship between exercise and voltage were being tested so it's not too surprising.
Ush
I have various EKG graphs. I need all of the maximum and minimum voltages for each period. The periods are not all the same length. The maximums and minimums all vary.
Is there any way I can do this?
Note: it'll be hard selecting chunks of data and then finding it from that because there's nearly 2500+ values for voltage per a 12 second reading.

An example of a EKG graph is below.
[PLAIN]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/184/examplefw.jpg

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From your data I'm not sure what you mean by maxima, minima and period. Are the peaks inside the noise also considered maxima? If not, how far above the noise must a peak rise before it is considered a peak?

In problems of this sort it is important to carefully define your objective. As you refine your definition, many times the solution becomes obvious.

I was referring to the QRS wave (the large, sharp peaks)
please see attachment below.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 429
also;
some of the noise is at the same level at the maximums for some of the EKG's
see below

[PLAIN]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5008/examplevn.jpg
=/

Last edited by a moderator:
Good analysis.

Can you think of a way of distinguishing between the peaks you want and the ones you don't. Obviously voltage won't work. What about the amount it rises above the noise? The peak itself might be distinguished by a reversal of slope.

Is the minimum the the first reversal of slope from negative to positive after a maximum?

The minimum is the first reversal of slope after the maximum
I'm not sure about another way to define maximums. btw, thank you so much for helping me, I appreciate it =)

looking at the graph again. It's apparent that the voltage rises at least 0.5mv without reversal of slope. The noise goes up and down many many times, none of it reaches 0.5mv without reversal of slope.
Can this be used to help define maximum?

--Issue is solved.

Ush said:
--Issue is solved.

Glad to hear that. BTW, what was causing all of the low-frequency artifacts? Was the patient moving a lot? Which lead is this from, Lead-II?

Lead-I
the subject was as still as possible- the noise is most likely from breathing, The relationship between exercise and voltage were being tested so it's not too surprising. EKG's usually do have a fair bit of noise-
This is part of a physics course.. Each lab we're given different equipment and instructions on how to use the equipment. We have to look at how the equipment works and then make up some sort of hypothesis we can test and then perform the experiment and write a formal report on our findings. For this particular lab we were given an EKG apparatus, voltmeter, conductive paper and power supply-

Related to How Can I Extract Maximum and Minimum Voltages from EKG Graphs in Excel?

1. What is Microsoft Excel and what is it used for?

Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet software developed by Microsoft. It is used for organizing, manipulating, and analyzing data in a tabular format. It is commonly used in businesses, academic institutions, and personal use for tasks such as budgeting, creating charts and graphs, and performing calculations.

2. How do I open and save an Excel file?

To open an Excel file, you can either double-click on the file or open Microsoft Excel and then navigate to the file through the "Open" option in the File menu. To save a file, click on the "Save" or "Save As" option in the File menu and choose the location and file name for the file.

3. How do I enter data into an Excel spreadsheet?

To enter data into a spreadsheet, simply click on the cell where you want to enter the data and start typing. You can also use the arrow keys to move between cells. If you want to copy and paste data from another source, use the "Copy" and "Paste" options in the Home menu or use the shortcut keys "Ctrl+C" and "Ctrl+V".

4. How do I perform calculations in Excel?

To perform calculations, you can use formulas or functions in Excel. For example, to add two cells together, you can type "=A1+B1" in a different cell. You can also use built-in functions such as SUM, AVERAGE, and MAX to perform more complex calculations. These can be accessed through the Formulas menu or by typing "=function_name (arguments)" in a cell.

5. How do I create charts and graphs in Excel?

To create charts and graphs, select the data you want to visualize and then click on the "Insert" menu. From there, you can choose the type of chart or graph you want to create. You can also customize the appearance of the chart by using the options in the Design and Format menus.