How can I ensure that Q'*M*Q=I without using MATLAB?

In summary, normalizing eigen vectors is important for standardized comparison of vector size and direction, particularly in large data sets. This is achieved by dividing each vector by its magnitude to create unit length vectors. The magnitude of a normalized eigen vector indicates its direction strength. Eigen vectors with negative values can still be normalized, but their direction may change. Normalizing eigen vectors is most useful for larger data sets, but may not be necessary for smaller ones.
nellierd

Homework Statement

det(K-lambdaM)=0

K is stiffness and M is mass matrix

Homework Equations

How do I make sure that Q'*M*Q=I
Where Q is the matrix whose column entries are the eigen vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know how to do it without MATLAB help. Is it always true that I will get a diagonal matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How can I ensure that Q'*M*Q=I without using MATLAB?

1. What is the purpose of normalizing eigen vectors?

Normalizing eigen vectors is important because it allows for a standardized comparison of the size and direction of each vector. This is especially useful when dealing with large data sets, as it can help with data reduction and simplification.

2. How does one normalize eigen vectors?

To normalize eigen vectors, you divide each vector by its magnitude or length. This ensures that each vector has a unit length of 1. This can be done either manually or through the use of software or programming languages.

3. What is the significance of the magnitude of a normalized eigen vector?

The magnitude of a normalized eigen vector represents the strength of the vector's direction. A larger magnitude indicates a stronger direction, while a smaller magnitude suggests a weaker direction.

4. Can eigen vectors be normalized if they have negative values?

Yes, eigen vectors can still be normalized if they have negative values. The normalization process will still result in a unit length vector, but the direction may change depending on the location of the negative values.

5. Is normalizing eigen vectors necessary for all data sets?

No, normalizing eigen vectors is not necessary for all data sets. It is most useful for data sets with a large number of variables or dimensions, as it can help with data reduction and simplification. However, for smaller data sets, the benefits of normalizing eigen vectors may be minimal.