How Can I Efficiently Source Bitter Plates for an Electromagnet Project?

In summary, Matt is looking for a company that can produce 2000 copper plates for his electromagnet. He is worried about thermal expansion and possible bolt cannons.
TheAdmiralty
Evening, gentlemen!

Just a quick question for you guys... maybe more, if anyone's seriously interested. I've got a project going on at the university that I hope to get funding for in the future, which is the construction of a relatively small Bitter electromagnet. I say 'relatively' because the thing is still going to be entirely liquid cooled and the whole nine yards.

Anyway, my problem is sourcing the Bitter plates that are going to to form the inner and outer cores of this magnet. We have a small CO2 cutting laser that would probably punch through a 20-mil copper sheet, but I'd need to print out roughly 2000 of these, which would take forever. I'm flipping through the internet right now looking for a prototyping / metal stamping service that would be able to manufacture these, but I'm having trouble turning up anything reasonable.

Other than that, the ceramic core(s) I'll be using shouldn't be too hard to find, though they might be a bit expensive, nor should the housing and plates that will seal each end of the unit. Cooling will be easily handled by some common copper plumbing hardware (might be too hot for PVC), a radiator, reservoir, and small pump. I'm actually a computer engineering student, so the whole thing will ultimately be controlled by an STM32F microcontroller which will handle a small display for temperature, voltage, and some various other safety readouts along with the power controls themselves. I still need to work out some sort of low-voltage-with-f***all-amperage power supply, but that won't be too tough.

Any thoughts on sourcing about 2000 each of copper and insulation plates? No way could I effectively laser-cut each one of these on my own, and I only have a relatively small amount of personal funding for this. Thoughts are welcome! I'll probably stick some design files from AD-Inventor up here as a preview once I get them thrown together.

Much appreciated,
- Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
For the copper, your cost will vary mostly by whether the geometries to be punched are standard and can be soft tooled from plate. If you need hard tooling then the investment price goes up.
It's best to negotiate geometries and needs with the directly with the shop as they can identify means of saving you cost. Also, it never hurts to arrange a meeting in person and have your drawings second checked for errors and inconsistencies before the meeting.

Be careful, Bitter plates must be strong too, to resist the resultant magnetic forces.

My switchboard reverse power detectors used Eddy Current motors just barely powerful enough to keep the contacts shut, and blistered my fingers when I grabbed one too soon.

Yep - what I'm going to end up with should be fairly small scale, but unfortunately scaling magnets down comes with a few problems regarding non-linearity - luckily we're not shooting for anything too impressive. The entire core is going to be held together by eight insulated bolts arranged in an octagon, similar to just about any other bitter magnet out there. I might do a redesign into a nested three-core design in order to make the plates a bit thicker to help keep things together.

I'm a bit worried about what thermal expansion might do to this, so I'll have to make sure our current solution doesn't turn into an impromptu bolt cannon. There was originally a lot of alumina-based ceramic in the design to avoid the use of a lot of insulating sheaths, but that fell through when I realized that expansion combined with fairly low tensile strength wouldn't exactly be a good plan.

We'd looked into aluminum or some alloy thereof to use in the plate design for cost, but the amount of heat dissipation needed to get a similar field would be absurd. I'll have to set up a meeting with one of the metal fabs that our university's had previous dealings with... they might be willing to knock a few cents off, and I'm certainly open to lowering cost as much as possible.

Hello Matt,

Your project sounds very interesting! Bitter electromagnets are definitely a complex and challenging project to undertake.

As for sourcing the copper and insulation plates, have you considered reaching out to companies or universities that specialize in metal stamping and prototyping? They may have the capabilities to produce the plates you need at a reasonable cost.

Another option could be to look into 3D printing the plates. While it may not be as durable as copper, it could be a more cost-effective and efficient solution for prototyping.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and hope you are able to secure the funding you need. Keep us updated on your progress!

Best,

Related to How Can I Efficiently Source Bitter Plates for an Electromagnet Project?

What is "Bitter Magnet Construction"?

"Bitter Magnet Construction" is a scientific method used to create strong electromagnets by winding wire around a material known as a "bitter magnet." This technique is named after physicist Francis Bitter who first developed it in the 1930s.

What materials are needed for "Bitter Magnet Construction"?

To construct a bitter magnet, you will need a ferromagnetic material (such as iron or steel) in the form of a rod or cylinder, insulated wire, and a power source. You may also need a supporting structure to hold the materials in place.

How does "Bitter Magnet Construction" work?

The process of bitter magnet construction involves winding insulated wire around a ferromagnetic material. When an electric current is passed through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the material. This field is then amplified by the ferromagnetic material, resulting in a strong electromagnet.

What are the applications of "Bitter Magnet Construction"?

Bitter magnets are used in a variety of scientific and industrial applications where a strong and stable magnetic field is required. These include particle accelerators, MRI machines, and fusion reactors. They are also used in everyday devices such as speakers and electric motors.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using "Bitter Magnet Construction"?

Yes, it is important to handle and store bitter magnets with caution as they can be extremely strong and can cause serious injury if mishandled. Additionally, the high electric currents used in the construction process can also be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety measures when working with this technique.