How can I efficiently shuffle and deal cards for a simple memory game in Python?

In summary, you are working on a memory game that includes a card class, a deck class, and a game class. The card class stores the card's value and face (up or down), the deck class contains the cards needed, and the game class simulates playing the game.
Sthiel
So I'm working on a simple memory game nonGUI: Write a program that plays the memory matching game. When it start, the program prompts the user for the number of rows and columns for the game board that contains the cards. The total number of cards must be even. Assume that the board dimensions are at most 8 by 9 or 9 by 8. You cards must be numbered from 1 through (number of rows * number of columns) / 2. Your program allows the player to specify the cards that she would like to select through a coordinate system as shown in the sample run below. All the cards that are face down are indicated by *

So far I am making 3 classes. Card, Deck and Game. Card will be used to store both the card's value and face (up or down). Deck to contain the cards needed. Its methods include a mthod to deal a card, another for shuffling the deck, and a method that returns number of cards left in the deck. The class Game simulates playing a single game and represents the interaction between the user and the other classes. Its instance members store a 2D list (of card objects) representing the game board where the cards are placed, number of rows and number of columns of the game board. Among the instance methods of the Game class: play(), which simulates playing the game; isGameOver(), which checks whether or not the game is over; displayBoard(), which displays the board; populateBoard(), which creates the initial 2D list of identical pairs of cards with all the cards facing down.

So the first question I have is regarding the deck class. I was going to create a dictionary for the cards but I am not sure if I would need to include all the possible card values or I am assuming there is an easier way of writing that.

Any input on this first question or any input really would be appreciated. And I will probably have more questions as I go along. Thank you

Technology news on Phys.org
If I were you I'd stick with a list for the Deck class. Populate it with Cards in order, then shuffle them. The random module might help with that.

So in the list there would be a max of 72 cards. It would be inefficient i feel to write all 72 values in the last, so I am assuming there is an easier way to write that.

Sthiel said:
So in the list there would be a max of 72 cards. It would be inefficient i feel to write all 72 values in the last, so I am assuming there is an easier way to write that.
How are you getting 72 cards? A standard deck contains 52 cards, A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, J, Q, K in four suits, clubs, spades, diamonds, and hearts. That's 13 x 4 = 52.

It's really not that hard to create a list of 52 items, especially since there is a lot of repetition. Using copy and paste you can create the list in very little time.

As an alternative, you could have two lists: a list of the ranks (A, 2, ..., 10, J, Q, K) and a list of the four suits. By generating one random number in the range 0 through 12 you can get the rank, and by generating another random number in the range 0 through 3, you can get the suit.

Mark44 said:
How are you getting 72 cards? A standard deck contains 52 cards ...
This isn't a standard deck. Cards have numbers only, with card numbers ranging from 1 to N, where N is at most 36. The deck contains two cards of each number.

My understanding: All cards are dealt face down initially in a rectangular grid. On each turn, the player identifies two of the face-down cards. These two cards are (briefly) flipped face-up. If they match, they stay face up. If they don't match, they're flipped back over face-down. The play continues until all cards have been matched; no face down cards remain to be tested.

Oops! Didn't read the statement very carefully.

Yes precisely. So how would you suggest I initialize the list?

Use a loop, or a call to map(). Then shuffle.

Related to How can I efficiently shuffle and deal cards for a simple memory game in Python?

1. What is a simple memory game in Python?

A simple memory game in Python is a computer program that allows players to test and improve their memory skills by displaying a sequence of objects or numbers that the player must remember and repeat in the correct order.

2. How do you create a simple memory game in Python?

To create a simple memory game in Python, you will need to have a basic understanding of the Python programming language and its syntax. You will also need to use the appropriate libraries and functions to display and manipulate the game elements, such as the random module and the print() function.

3. What are the key components of a simple memory game in Python?

The key components of a simple memory game in Python include a set of game rules, a sequence of randomly generated objects or numbers, a way to display the sequence to the player, a way for the player to input their guess, and a way to check the accuracy of the player's guess.

4. How can you make a simple memory game more challenging?

There are several ways to make a simple memory game more challenging. Some options include increasing the length of the sequence, adding more objects or numbers to the sequence, reducing the time allowed for the player to input their guess, and implementing a scoring system to track the player's progress.

5. Can a simple memory game in Python be customized for different difficulty levels?

Yes, a simple memory game in Python can be customized for different difficulty levels. This can be achieved by adjusting the length of the sequence, choosing from a wider range of objects or numbers, and implementing different scoring systems or time constraints for each difficulty level. Additionally, more complex coding techniques, such as using nested loops or functions, can be used to create more challenging versions of the game.