How can I do physics with a delayed education?

In summary, the individual is a 21-year-old living in India with a troubled academic record due to misdiagnosed medication and personal and financial issues preventing them from attending college. They are passionate about studying physics and have been advised to study up on algebra, functions, and calculus before moving on to high school level physics. They are currently working on improving their math skills and need to resolve their personal and financial issues before pursuing their education.
cntr
I'm 21 years old, living in India. Due to my psychiatrists misdiagnosing my illness, I was given the wrong medicines, and due to the mental damage caused by them, my academic record is terrible. I technically haven't even passed 12th grade. Due to personal and financial issues, I can't go to college anytime soon.

What can I do to get my academics back on track and eventually go to a proper college in a few years and study physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Study up. Move forward. Don't let the burden of an old diagnosis determine your future. If physics is something you are passionate about learning then the choice is in your hands. Get access to all the materials/course references you can. The Internet is filled with detailed explanations regarded such physical mechanics.

(As far as skills you'll need, start with Algerba 1&2, Then check out functions 1&2 (pre-calculus) then study up on your calculus. Make sure your familiar with derivatives, limits, sequences and log functions.)

Once completed; move on to physics 1&2 at the high school level.

Only you can determine if physics is the right path for you. Either way I wish you luck on your journey.

Hope this was helpful ! What would you say about your current math skills? Are you naturally good with numbers or do you struggle with simple addition? What is it about physics which attracts you to it? These are all things to think about !

Hmm, thanks. Good motivation.

Since stopping the medicines, I’ve gotten much better at Math, but there’s still a lot I need to learn, and relearn.

cntr said:
Due to personal and financial issues, I can't go to college anytime soon.

Then you already have your answer, in order to get your academics back on track you need to resolve your personal/financial issues first. Once you're able to get those to a level where you feel comfortable pursing your education, you've already completed half the battle.

Related to How can I do physics with a delayed education?

1. How does having a delayed education impact my ability to do physics?

Having a delayed education may affect your ability to do physics in the sense that you may have missed out on some foundational knowledge or skills. However, it is never too late to learn and improve your understanding of physics.

2. Can I still pursue a career in physics with a delayed education?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in physics with a delayed education. Many successful physicists have taken non-traditional paths and have achieved great success in their field.

3. What steps should I take to catch up on my physics knowledge?

The first step is to identify the specific areas in which you need to catch up. You can do this by consulting with a physics professor or taking a diagnostic test. Then, you can use online resources, textbooks, or attend additional classes to fill in any knowledge gaps.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to my peers who have a traditional physics education?

While having a delayed education may put you at a slight disadvantage, it does not determine your success in physics. Your determination, hard work, and dedication can make up for any differences in education background.

5. Are there any specific tips for learning physics with a delayed education?

It may be helpful to find a mentor or study group to help you stay on track and provide support. Additionally, practice and review regularly to reinforce your understanding and make sure to ask for help when needed. Remember that everyone learns at their own pace, and it is important to stay motivated and focused on your goals.