How can I determine which integration technique to use for a specific problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Knowing what technique to use is something that comes with practice. The more you do, the more quickly you will see how to approach it. For the trig integrals, be very familiar with the standard forms of sine, cosine and tangent inverse integrals. Here is a good page that lists a lot of general forms. If you see some terms that could be part of a right triangle: $\sqrt{a^2-x^2}$, $1+u^2$ or $a^2+u^2$ then that's a big hint that you should try a trig inverse function. If you have to integrate a term with two strange things multiplied together and you notice that it's messy, but if you took the
ineedhelpnow
(Wave)I have a test tomorrow on the different Techniques of Integration: integration by parts, partial fractions, trigonometric integrals, trigonometric substitutions, improper integrals and i want to fully understand them. I've been working on problems from the book but can someone just give a simple explanation of how i know which type of integration to use for a certain problem (so i don't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out on the test) and maybe a few slightly complicating examples. or i can list an exercise from the book.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing what technique to use is something that comes with practice. The more you do, the more quickly you will see how to approach it.

For the trig integrals, be very familiar with the standard forms of sine, cosine and tangent inverse integrals. Here is a good page that lists a lot of general forms. If you see some terms that could be part of a right triangle: $\sqrt{a^2-x^2}$, $1+u^2$ or $a^2+u^2$ then that's a big hint that you should try a trig inverse function.

If you have to integrate a term with two strange things multiplied together and you notice that it's messy, but if you took the derivative of one of those pieces it would be less messy, then you could try integration by parts. For example:

\(\displaystyle \int xe^{6x} \,dx\)

This doesn't have an easy substitution and isn't a standard form for an integral right off the bat, but if we took the derivative of $x$, we could easily integrate \(\displaystyle e^{6x}\), so integration by parts could work (and it does).

Hopefully this helps get you thinking. Let us know if you have more abstract or concrete questions.

how would i integrate by parts if I am given something like $\int \ \frac{xe^{2x}}{(1+2x)^2},dx$

ineedhelpnow said:
how would i integrate by parts if I am given something like $\int \ \frac{xe^{2x}}{(1+2x)^2},dx$

I wouldn't use integration by parts here:

\(\displaystyle I=\int\frac{xe^{2x}}{(2x+1)^2}\,dx=\int\frac{2(8x+4)e^{2x}-e^{2x}(8)}{\left(4(2x+1)\right)^2}\,dx\)

The integrand is now the derivative of a quotient...

the only one we're allowed to use for this one is IBP

all i need to know pretty much is how to integrate a fraction by parts

ineedhelpnow said:
the only one we're allowed to use for this one is IBP

Try:

\(\displaystyle u=xe^{2x}\,\therefore\,du=(2x+1)e^{2x}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\frac{1}{(2x+1)^2}\,dx\,\therefore\,v=-\frac{1}{2(2x+1)}\)

im getting a wrong answer.

ineedhelpnow said:
im getting a wrong answer.

Then SHOW us what you have done, where you got stuck, and what you got as your answer. Then we might be able to give you some better guidance.

Mark is right, his choice of u and dv works.

all i did was use the substitutions and i ended up getting $\frac{xe^{2x}}{4x+4}-\frac{e^{2x}}{4}$

ineedhelpnow said:
all i did was use the substitutions and i ended up getting $\frac{xe^{2x}}{4x+4}-\frac{e^{2x}}{4}$

Why are you using substitutions at all? Mark told you that Integration by Parts is the method to use, and even told you what to use as u, v, du and dv.

I know what Mark told me ok? That's what I did and I did it just like he said but I'm doing something wrong.

@MarkFL i used $uv-\int \ vdu$ but I don't think my answer is right

- - - Updated - - -

wait a sec. that answer i wrote was the one i got earlier before i asked. oops.

ineedhelpnow said:
I know what Mark told me ok? That's what I did and I did it just like he said but I'm doing something wrong.

@MarkFL i used $uv-\int \ vdu$ but I don't think my answer is right

- - - Updated - - -

wait a sec. that answer i wrote was the one i got earlier before i asked. oops.

Well considering that in a thread called "techniques of integration" you say you used substitutions, which is a method of integration itself, instead of a different method (which you then say you used), then do you really wonder why you are being told to follow instructions?

Like I have said SEVERAL times, SHOW all your working out. THEN we will know where you have made your mistake!

there's supposed to be a negative sign in front of $\frac{xe^{2x}}{2(2x+1)}$

- - - Updated - - -

i don't get what you're talking about. i asked about the techniques of integration. then i asked how do i integrate fraction by parts because i didnt understand. he told me what to do and i did it. and I am getting it wrong for some reason ok? there arent really any steps. all i had to do was plug in the u v and du.

What Prove It is getting at, is that we can't really help you to find your error unless you show us what you did. If you just say I got this or I got the wrong answer, we can't know where you went wrong.

Post what you did, and we'll guide you from there. :D

ok. he's right. sorry. ill post my steps. $-\frac{xe^{2x}}{2(2x+1)}-\int \ \frac{(2x+1)e^{2x}}{2(2x+1)},dx$
$=-\frac{xe^{2x}}{2(2x+1)}-\frac{1}{2}\int \ e^{2x},dx$
$=-\frac{xe^{2x}}{4x+4}-\frac{e^{2x}}{4}$

where did i go wrong?

ineedhelpnow said:
ok. he's right. sorry. ill post my steps. $-\frac{xe^{2x}}{2(2x+1)}-\int \ \frac{(2x+1)e^{2x}}{2(2x+1)},dx$
$=-\frac{xe^{2x}}{2(2x+1)}-\frac{1}{2}\int \ e^{2x},dx$
$=-\frac{xe^{2x}}{4x+4}-\frac{e^{2x}}{4}$

where did i go wrong?

In your first step, the integral has the wrong sign...do you see why?

:p oh now i see it. it's supposed to be + . is the sign the only that's wrong with it?

ineedhelpnow said:
:p oh now i see it. it's supposed to be + . is the sign the only that's wrong with it?

Also 2(2x+1) = 4x + 2, NOT 4x + 4...

Prove It said:
Also 2(2x+1) = 4x + 2, NOT 4x + 4...

double oops. that's embarrassing. besides that is the answer right?

ineedhelpnow said:
double oops. that's embarrassing. besides that is the answer right?

Correct your errors, and then combine terms (don't forget the constant of integration) and see what you get. Take the derivative of your result, and if you get the original integrand then you know you have gotten the correct answer. :D

its right! thanks Mark/Prove It!

Related to How can I determine which integration technique to use for a specific problem?

1. What are the different techniques of integration?

The different techniques of integration include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fraction decomposition, and using trigonometric identities.

2. How do I know which technique of integration to use?

Choosing the appropriate technique of integration depends on the form of the integral. Substitution is useful when the integral involves a composite function, integration by parts is used for products of functions, trigonometric substitution is used for integrals with trigonometric functions, partial fraction decomposition is used for rational functions, and trigonometric identities are used for simplifying complex integrals.

3. Can I use more than one technique of integration in a single integral?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple techniques of integration in a single integral. This is called a combination of integration techniques and is often necessary for more complex integrals.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for integration?

While there are no shortcuts for integration, some techniques can make the process quicker and easier. For example, recognizing patterns and applying appropriate trigonometric identities can simplify the integral. Practice and familiarity with the techniques can also make integration faster and more efficient.

5. Can integration be used in real-life applications?

Yes, techniques of integration are used in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics to solve real-life problems. For example, they are used in physics to calculate the area under a curve to determine displacement, velocity, or acceleration of an object. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze data.