How can I determine the rotation of basis vectors in non-Euclidean space?

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing an orthonormal frame in a 3D space with a specific metric. The first basis vector is fixed and the other two are obtained using the Gram-Schmidt procedure. The speaker then tries to compare their result to the one in the literature by rotating the basis vectors. However, the resulting angle is a ratio of energy and momenta, not an actual number, and the speaker needs to determine the sine and cosine of the angle to fully determine the rotated basis vectors. The conversation also mentions that introducing frame fields allows for natural rotations in Euclidean space.
latentcorpse
Hi,

I have a 3d space with metric [tex] ds^2= -r^a dt^2 + r^bdr^2 +r^2 dy^2[/tex] and I need to construct an orthonormal frame.

The first of these three basis vectors is fixed, let's say as [tex]e_0=A \partial_t + B \partial_r + C \partial_y[/tex]

To find the other two I set [tex]v_1=\partial_t, v_2=\partial_r[/tex] and then apply the Gram-Schmidt procedure. Ultimately I end up with

[tex]e_1=D \partial_t + E \partial_r + F \partial_y[/tex] and [tex]e_2=G \partial_t + H \partial_r + J \partial_y[/tex]

Since I have exact (albeit rather lengthy and complicated expressions) for [tex]A,B,C[/tex] in terms of variables such as energy and momenta, the Gram-Schmidt procedure does give me expressions for all the other constants (although they are in terms of energy and momenta as well - importantly, they are not numbers!).

Now, I am trying to compare my result to the result in the literature where they explicitly construct such a basis with [tex]e_1[/tex] only pointing in the t and r directions. Since [tex]e_0[/tex] is fixed and I can't alter it at all, this is really a rotation of the other two orthonormal basis vectors i.e. I want to rotate [tex]e_1,e_2[/tex] such that [tex]e_1[/tex] no longer has a y component.

I tried to do this by multiplying as follows:
[tex]\begin{pvector} e'_1 \\ e'_2 \end{pvector} = \begin{array} \cos{\theta} & \sin{\theta} \\ -\sin{\theta} & \cos{\theta} \end{array} \begin{pvector} e_1 \\ e_2 \end{pvector}[/tex]

(Does this even hold when we are no longer in Euclidean space?)

Imposing [tex](e'_1)^y=0[/tex] (I use this notation to denote the y component), I can read off the following equation

[tex]0=\cos{\theta} (e_1)^y + \sin{\theta} (e_2)^y \Rightarrow \tan{\theta}=-\frac{(e_1)^y}{(e_2)^y}[/tex]

However, this gives me an expression for [tex]\theta=\tan^{-1}{(-\frac{(e_1)^y}{(e_2)^y})}[/tex]. This will be some ratio of the energy and momenta and not an actual number. So how can I use it to determine [tex]\sin{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\cos{\theta}[/tex] which I will need in order to work out how the ohther components of [tex]e'_1,e'_2[/tex] look like?

Thanks very much for your help..

Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
(Does this even hold when we are no longer in Euclidean space?)

One reason to introduce frame fields is that the Euclidean rotations act naturally on them.

Imposing [tex](e'_1)^y=0[/tex] (I use this notation to denote the y component), I can read off the following equation

[tex]0=\cos{\theta} (e_1)^y + \sin{\theta} (e_2)^y \Rightarrow \tan{\theta}=-\frac{(e_1)^y}{(e_2)^y}[/tex]

However, this gives me an expression for [tex]\theta=\tan^{-1}{(-\frac{(e_1)^y}{(e_2)^y})}[/tex]. This will be some ratio of the energy and momenta and not an actual number. So how can I use it to determine [tex]\sin{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\cos{\theta}[/tex] which I will need in order to work out how the ohther components of [tex]e'_1,e'_2[/tex] look like?

There are elementary trig identities like

$$ 1 + \tan^2\theta = \frac{1}{\cos^2\theta}$$

that you can use to express ##\sin## and ##\cos## in terms of ##\tan##.

What is Basis Vector Rotation?

Basis Vector Rotation is a mathematical concept used to describe the transformation of a set of coordinate axes in three-dimensional space. It involves rotating the coordinate axes about an origin point to describe the orientation of an object or system.

Why is Basis Vector Rotation important?

Basis Vector Rotation is important because it allows us to accurately describe the orientation of objects or systems in three-dimensional space. This is crucial in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.

How is Basis Vector Rotation calculated?

Basis Vector Rotation is typically calculated using matrix operations. A rotation matrix is used to transform the original basis vectors to their new positions after rotation. The rotation matrix can be derived using trigonometric functions and the angle of rotation.

What are the applications of Basis Vector Rotation?

Basis Vector Rotation has many applications in various fields, including computer graphics, robotics, navigation, and physics. It is used to describe the orientation of objects, calculate transformations in 3D space, and perform rotations in computer graphics.

What is the difference between active and passive Basis Vector Rotation?

Active Basis Vector Rotation involves rotating the object or system in 3D space, while passive Basis Vector Rotation involves rotating the coordinate axes around the object or system. In other words, active rotation changes the orientation of the object, while passive rotation changes the orientation of the axes.