How Can I Determine Speed and Frequency with Only a Wavelength Component?

• Thread starter StarGazer92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, The conversation is about trying to figure out speed and frequency using only a wavelength component. The speaker is currently working on a project involving a homemade musical instrument and is trying to figure out the harmonics needed. They are wondering if there is a set speed for these frequencies or wavelengths and are asking for help. The suggested solution is to assume the same speed for all frequencies of interest and use the equation v = fλ.
StarGazer92
I'm trying to find out if there is a way to figure out speed and frequency with only a wavelength component, but having no such luck...I'm currently working on a project involving making a homemade musical instrument (I've made a kind of recorder with a closed air tunnel and I've done that, but I'm actually trying to figure out the harmonics needed. Is there a set speed for these frequencies or wavelengths? This is really confusing...

f = vλ

HELP! PLEASE!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can begin by assuming the same speed (the speed of sound in air -- look it up) for all frequencies of interest.

The wave equation should be: [itex]v = f \lambda[/itex]

I can understand how this can be confusing. The formula for frequency (f) is equal to the speed of the wave (v) divided by the wavelength (λ). So in order to find the speed or frequency, you need to have both the wavelength and the other variable. If you only have one component, it is not possible to determine the other without additional information. As for the harmonics of your homemade instrument, the frequencies and wavelengths will depend on the length and shape of the air tunnel and the material of the instrument. There is no set speed for these frequencies or wavelengths, as they can vary depending on the specific design of your instrument. I would suggest doing some research on similar instruments or consulting with a music or physics expert for assistance in determining the harmonics needed for your project. Best of luck!

Related to How Can I Determine Speed and Frequency with Only a Wavelength Component?

What is causing the confusion?

There could be multiple factors contributing to the confusion, such as a lack of understanding of the topic, conflicting information, or a complex concept.

How can I better understand this?

One way to better understand a confusing topic is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek out additional resources or explanations.

Is there a specific method or strategy for dealing with confusion?

Different strategies may work for different individuals, but some common approaches include asking questions, seeking clarification, and practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Can confusion be beneficial?

Yes, confusion can be a natural and necessary part of the learning process. It can lead to deeper understanding and critical thinking about a topic.

How can I communicate my confusion to others?

You can communicate confusion by expressing your questions and concerns, seeking clarification, and actively participating in discussions or asking for help from others.