How can I determine a vehicle's center of gravity using Euler's equations?

In summary, the individual is seeking to find the center of gravity for a vehicle using Euler's equations. They are designing a rig that will allow the vehicle to be suspended and moved along its x, y, and z axes in order to measure roll, pitch, and yaw angles. They are having difficulty finding the point at which all these inertias act through. They have considered using trigonometry and CAD modeling, but are unsure if these methods will be accurate. Other methods suggested include using a procedure from the Society of Automotive Engineers and referencing the book "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics." The individual also mentions that the height of the center of gravity can be calculated from the known mass distribution.
Hiceadha

Homework Statement

I need to find a vehicles center of gravity

Homework Equations

I'm thinking euler's equations but I am new to them.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm designing a rig as part of a project that would allow a race car to be suspended from a lift on 4 ropes and then allow to move in on its x, y and z axis in order to get mesaures for the roll, pitch and yaw angles. I'm having difficulties adding it all together however in order to find the point which all these inertias act through

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hiceadha said:

Homework Statement

I need to find a vehicles center of gravity

Homework Equations

I'm thinking euler's equations but I am new to them.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm designing a rig as part of a project that would allow a race car to be suspended from a lift on 4 ropes and then allow to move in on its x, y and z axis in order to get mesaures for the roll, pitch and yaw angles. I'm having difficulties adding it all together however in order to find the point which all these inertias act through

Could you post some sketches/photos? It's kind of hard to help without seeing a lot more about the problem. :smile:

Ok imagine a car is placed on a platform which is suspended from a lift or roof by four ropes attached sypherical bearings, it is to find the centre of gravity which passes through the roll, yaw and pitch axis like on this plane
Rollpitchyawplain.png

An accelerometer could be placed in the car

This image shows how the rig could measure the yaw angle
Capture_zpsd67649aa.jpg

This image shows how the rig could measure the roll angle
Capture3_zps6f1442d7.jpg

This image shows how the rig could measure the pitch angle
Capture2_zps9233edf3.jpg

Now I need a way to use these three angles which the car moves to find the center of gravoty location, I tried to use trigonometry to no success, my second idea is to model everything using CAD then draw three dotted line which follow the cars movement angles and where they meet will be the COG, would this be accurate?

Why can't it just be calculated from the known mass distribution?

Chet

calculating from the weight distribution dosent get the height of the CoG though or yaw center

It's fairly easy to get the car's longitudinal c.g. and transverse c.g. by putting each wheel on a separate scale. Simple statics can be used to calculate l.c.g. and t.c.g. For the location of the vertical center of gravity, I believe the Society of Automotive Engineers has a procedure which places the vehicle on an incline or jacking one side up, and knowing the slope of the incline and the force at each wheel, one can work back and estimate the v.c.g. above the ground. This procedure is used for unusual vehicles like tractors and excavators. It's important that the suspension of the vehicle be locked while tested, to ensure no change in wheel reactions due to the movement of the suspension.

This SAE paper citation also looks at the special problems encountered when trying to measure the c.g. location of racing vehicles:

http://papers.sae.org/2004-01-1076/

Another good reference is Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, by WF Milliken and DL Milliken, SAE 1995.

In any event, the construction of a trapeze is not required to do this test.

Hiceadha said:
calculating from the weight distribution dosent get the height of the CoG though or yaw center
Of course you can get the height of the CG from knowledge of the mass distribution (I didn't say weight distribution, I said mass distribution).

Chet

It needs to be this alternative method though

Related to How can I determine a vehicle's center of gravity using Euler's equations?

What is the "center of gravity problem"?

The center of gravity problem, also known as the "inverse problem of the calculus of variations", is a mathematical problem that seeks to find the shape of a body that has a specified center of gravity and moments of inertia. In simpler terms, it is a problem that involves determining the shape of an object based on its weight distribution.

Why is the center of gravity important?

The center of gravity is important because it is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. This point is crucial for stability and balance, as any change in the center of gravity can affect an object's ability to maintain its position or move in a certain direction.

What factors affect the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is affected by the distribution of weight in an object, as well as the shape and size of the object. Objects with a wider base and lower center of gravity are typically more stable than those with a higher center of gravity. Additionally, the position of an object in relation to its support base can also affect its center of gravity.

How is the center of gravity calculated?

The center of gravity can be calculated by dividing the total weight of an object by the sum of the weights of all its individual parts, multiplied by their respective distances from a reference point. This will give the distance from the reference point to the center of gravity.

What are some practical applications of the center of gravity problem?

The center of gravity problem has practical applications in a variety of fields, including engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to design stable structures, such as buildings and bridges, and to determine the stability of vehicles, such as airplanes and cars. It is also important in sports, as athletes and coaches use the concept of center of gravity to improve balance and performance.