How Can I Design a Circuit to Manage and Distribute Stored Electrical Energy?

• Thread starter bonjour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, someone is asking for help with understanding a concept, and is waiting for a response before providing their own summary.
bonjour
Can someone help me create this conceptual circuit?

Where..when electric power is brought in, it is stored, and that stored energy at the same time can be outsourced to a target at a particular amp/current/voltage needed to power that target, as well as allowing that excess stored energy to be outsourced to other "targets"

I don't know how clear I'm being. I'm guessing I need a battery of some sort that can be charged with electricity. I'm just wary as I don't know if I can use the power from that battery for more than one thing. And one thing that I do want to power, I want control the level of electric strength/flow.

And for the excess energy left in the battery, I want to use to power a e.g. light bulb.
How could I do all this?

I don't know what I need, transistors, capicitators? splitters?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically we are talking about a system consisting of three parts:
1.) A battery, storing energy
2.) A charger, converting incoming electricity to fill the battery
3.) Regulator for consumers.

Choosing 1.) determines the output voltage of charger and input voltage of regulator.
2.) Would generate the needed voltage for the battery. Actually advanced chargers are playing with the current as well, but they are mostly just voltage regulators.
3.) There are circuits which can output a given voltage called voltage regulators, and there are circuits which output a given current, called current regulators (I guess, English is not my native language). Voltage regulators generally need higher input voltage than the output, but there are circuits which can output more voltage than input.

Generally you could simply connect those three things together and enjoy. However if the charger drives current rather than simply voltage, the control circuitry should account for both the charger and regulator. In simple applications (like a boat) you just put a voltage regulator (power module of a computer is an advanced one, and can be obtained dirt cheap from used computers), a battery, and the comsumers, which might contain their own voltage and amperage mungler circuits (e.g. a 12V DC/ 220V AC converter, or the 5V voltage regulator which drives the main board of the GPS which have 12V nominal input.)I suggest diving into this:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_sitemap.html
As far as I gathered this forum is for those who want to solve AND understand problems.
To reach this stage you should be able to formulate your problem, for which you need understanding of the basics.
So the first step is to learn the basics. If you have problems understanding anything along the way I am sure you can ask here and you will get the answer. But first thing first.

If your problem is more urgent than your need for understanding I am sure that there are DIY electronics forums where people will draw a circuit for you.

Very grateful. Thank you.

If you put some coil around a link of permanent magnets and then ran some power through it, what would happen?

Read these:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_14/1.html
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_14/2.html
Then tell here what you think will happen.
After that we can help you with it.
The forum rules are very strict on that helpers should not tell the solution, only help you to figure out.

Related to How Can I Design a Circuit to Manage and Distribute Stored Electrical Energy?

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. This charge is carried by tiny particles called electrons. Electricity is a form of energy that powers many devices and machines we use in our daily lives.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity constantly changes direction, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in one direction. AC is the type of electricity used in homes and buildings, while DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

3. How is electricity generated?

Electricity is generated by using various methods such as burning fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, or harnessing renewable sources like wind or solar power. These methods all involve turning a turbine that spins a generator, producing electricity.

4. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a path for electricity to flow. It includes a power source, such as a battery, and components like wires, switches, and loads (devices that use electricity). A complete circuit allows electricity to flow and power the devices connected to it.

5. How does electricity travel through wires?

Electricity travels through wires when electrons move from atom to atom. This flow of electrons creates an electrical current. The wires are made of conductive materials, such as copper, that allow electrons to move freely and carry the current.