How Can I Create a Touch Sensitive Volume Knob for My Audio Card?

In summary, you want to build a DYI volume knob to control variable actions on your audio card. You may want to research or contact the manufacturer to find out the interface or APIs.
alecudinov
Hi,
I am trying to think how to make a DYI volume knob to control variable actions on my audio card. But I don’t want one with buttons to toggle the actions.. instead I want to make one with a touch sensitive lcd screen and make the scroll knob (a físicas one) around the screen bc I want to use the screen so I can build a menu (by writing a program) where I can choose what audio to control, computer audio, toggle surround sound, headphone audio front panel, speakers audio back panel etcetera. My audio card can control all of this and more but I don’t want to have to leave a tab or minimise a program and then open the audio card’s software to be able to control the mentioned actions.. Comes the audio controller knob!.

Something on the basis of what the “EPOS GAX 1000” screen do, but just as a controller you know? Any helps?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your audio card plugged into? Or does it run stand-alone? What interface do you want to use to connect to this touch-sensitive LCD? USB? Bluetooth? Ethernet? Other?

If you are going to build it from components, this search will bury you with options:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=linear+resistive+touch+control
A touchpad from an old laptop computer could be the basis for parts, once you figure out how to interface it.o_O

Or the screen from an old cell phone. o_Oo_Oo_O

Likes alecudinov and dlgoff
Tom.G said:
Or the screen from an old cell phone.
First thing I've heard they're good for. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Tom.G
berkeman said:
What is your audio card plugged into? Or does it run stand-alone? What interface do you want to use to connect to this touch-sensitive LCD? USB? Bluetooth? Ethernet? Other?
It's a Sound BlasterX AE-5 (stand-alone), The interface would be USB-C since I already have a port I can dedicate to it on my motherboard.

Tom.G said:
If you are going to build it from components, this search will bury you with options:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=linear+resistive+touch+control
A touchpad from an old laptop computer could be the basis for parts, once you figure out how to interface it.o_O

Or the screen from an old cell phone. o_Oo_Oo_O
So I've came across a lot of round displays that are touch sensitive (IPS TFT, Etcetera), I'm having a bigger issue on finding if I can control the audio card's functions tough the controller I want to build bc since it's a stand-alone internal card, it does everything trough software.

alecudinov said:
it does everything trough software
So then you'll want to research or contact the manufacturer to find out the interface or APIs. I don't know anything about this, but I would be shocked if there wasn't some industry standard language for basic sound card controls. They do have to interface with the standard OSs.

Of course you'll have your own uP between the touchpad and the sound card, so this sounds like a SW documentation search to me.

Likes 256bits
DaveE said:
So then you'll want to research or contact the manufacturer to find out the interface or APIs. I don't know anything about this, but I would be shocked if there wasn't some industry standard language for basic sound card controls. They do have to interface with the standard OSs.

Of course you'll have your own uP between the touchpad and the sound card, so this sounds like a SW documentation search to me.
I didn't think there was one since the PCIe connection would be just talking to a proprietary device who could do with those packets being received whatever it wanted, and he would have had to program his own driver right from scratch, from kernal bottom all the way up.

Of course though Window has thought of everything. Controlling the adapter.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...scontrol-interface-to-access-audio-properties seems to be way to do , Windows Vista on up.

Other Windows audio control for end device ie headphones, microphone. ( Not the card itself but through the card to the end device )
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/coreaudio/core-audio-apis-in-windows-vista

So this might be worth a look.

Likes alecudinov

1. What is a touch sensitive volume knob?

A touch sensitive volume knob is a type of control mechanism that allows users to adjust the volume of a device by simply touching the knob or slider, without having to physically turn or push it.

2. How does a touch sensitive volume knob work?

A touch sensitive volume knob uses capacitive touch technology to detect changes in electrical charge when a user's finger comes into contact with the knob. This change in charge is then translated into a volume adjustment signal.

3. What are the benefits of using a touch sensitive volume knob?

One of the main benefits of using a touch sensitive volume knob is its ease of use. It eliminates the need for physical turning or pushing, making it more convenient and user-friendly. It also allows for more precise and gradual volume adjustments.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a touch sensitive volume knob?

One potential disadvantage is that it may not be as durable as traditional volume knobs, as it relies on electrical components that may be more prone to wear and tear. Additionally, some users may find it less intuitive or prefer the tactile feedback of physically turning a knob.

5. Where are touch sensitive volume knobs commonly used?

Touch sensitive volume knobs can be found in a variety of electronic devices, such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and home audio systems. They are also commonly used in automotive settings, such as in-car audio systems and climate controls.