How can I create a circuit to control LED lighting with a switch in reverse?

In summary: There is an LED and a switch. When the switch is closed, I want the LED OFF. When the switch is open, I want the LED ON. What is the simplest circuit I can build to make this happen?Connect the switch in parallel with LED?2N7002 and a couple of resistors. Can you go from there?Sure, I think you have the right idea. I don't know what the 2N7002 transistor is, I'm an M.E. not an E.E. that's why I need help. Can you explain how to make a circuit using the 2N7002? Maybe I need to learn how it
Curl
My problem:
There is an LED and a switch. When the switch is closed, I want the LED OFF. When the switch is open, I want the LED ON. What is the simplest circuit I can build to make this happen?
The power source can be either AC or DC, whatever is easiest. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Curl said:
There is an LED and a switch. When the switch is closed, I want the LED OFF. When the switch is open, I want the LED ON. What is the simplest circuit I can build to make this happen?
Connect the switch in parallel with LED?

2N7002 and a couple of resistors. Can you go from there?

Sure, I think you have the right idea. I don't know what the 2N7002 transistor is, I'm an M.E. not an E.E. that's why I need help. Can you explain how to make a circuit using the 2N7002? Maybe I need to learn how it works first.
Thanks a lot.

2N7002 N-channel EMOSfet.
In an N-channel, when the gate of the transistor receives a high current, then the Drain and source terminals are open circuited. When the gate of the transistor receives a low current, then the Drain and source terminals are short circuited.

P-Channel is the opposite of N-Channel

If you have a ground or neutral available then a simple resistor and LED on the switched side of the switch will do the trick. The value of the resistor will depend on the voltage.

Without a ground available and with AC, you could use a small transformer with the low voltage side in series with the switch and the LED connected across the high voltage side of the transformer. You may have to experiment a little but I suspect a wall-wart transformer would work. If the wall-wart supplies DC as most do, remove the diodes and capacitor in the output first.

This is a great project for an ME to get the feet wet in electronics!

I have attached a circuit & MOSFET component info. These MOSFET devices are popular and cost less than a dollar to the hobbiest (we get them for about $0.02 each).
Look up the datasheet on the corresponding website to see the pin arrangement.

You can adjust the DC voltage within reason by just adjusting the "brightness" resistor.
For example you can use 12V and increase resistor to 500 ohms. Also depends on the current required for the LED which does vary.

Don't attempt to connect this directly to AC mains.

I have included some alternative components that are in a more hobby friendly leaded package.

Attachments

• inverter.jpg
    inverter.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 433
The best and easiest solution is to use a double pole switch. One pole applies power to the circuit. With the other pole, one side should be connected to power source lead (hot wire) and the other side of the switch should connected through a resistor to ground. The LED should be connected across the switch with polarity such that it lights up when the switch is open. The value of the resistor is determined by the voltage.

What is wrong with what gnurf proposed?
Nothing is simpler than that.

1. When your switch is off, the circuit will not be truly off because of the current through the LED.
2. How much current does your circuit draw? Is it the right amount to properly light the LED. If it is too much, it may burn out the LED or if too little the LED may be very dim.

Thanks for the suggestions guys they are very useful.

the_emi_guy thanks for the diagram, I really like the transistor method.

Related to How can I create a circuit to control LED lighting with a switch in reverse?

1. What is a switch operated in reverse?

A switch operated in reverse is a type of electrical switch that functions in the opposite way of a traditional switch. Instead of turning a circuit on or off, it operates by opening or closing a circuit.

2. How does a switch operated in reverse work?

A switch operated in reverse works by using a mechanism, such as a lever or button, to physically open or close a circuit. When the switch is activated, the circuit is either opened or closed, depending on its original state.

3. What are the main uses for a switch operated in reverse?

Switches operated in reverse are commonly used in situations where it is necessary to temporarily disrupt the flow of electricity, such as in emergency shut-off systems or safety switches for machinery.

4. How is a switch operated in reverse different from a traditional switch?

The main difference between a switch operated in reverse and a traditional switch is the direction in which they operate. A traditional switch turns a circuit on or off, while a reverse switch opens or closes a circuit.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a switch operated in reverse?

As with any electrical equipment, there are potential safety risks associated with using a switch operated in reverse. It is important to follow proper safety procedures and regulations when working with electrical switches to avoid accidents or injuries.