How can I convert 18v cordless drill battery to recharge laptop, compact camera?

In summary, the batteries in question are a 220v adaptor and two packs of 18v NiCad batteries. These packs come with a 220v adaptor. The batteries can be used to recharge other devices, but they will not be able to recharge the laptop battery. There are several options for charging the batteries, but the cheapest and simplest option is to just purchase extra laptop batteries.
BongEx
I have 2 rechargeable 18v battery pack from cordless drill which I'm thinking of using as laptop charger and compact camera battery charger. These packs comes with 220v adaptor. Me and my 12yo son will be doing a week-long research for his school project (climate change) this Xmas break, backpacking in a remote island. I was thinking of using this packs to recharge our gears and then send the depleted 18v battery for recharge, and so on. Will this be possible? Thanks everyone for the help.

The link contains picture of the batteries in question.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13780793@N02/5265695126/

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
BongEx said:
I have 2 rechargeable 18v battery pack from cordless drill which I'm thinking of using as laptop charger and compact camera battery charger. These packs comes with 220v adaptor. Me and my 12yo son will be doing a week-long research for his school project (climate change) this Xmas break, backpacking in a remote island. I was thinking of using this packs to recharge our gears and then send the depleted 18v battery for recharge, and so on. Will this be possible? Thanks everyone for the help.

The link contains picture of the batteries in question.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13780793@N02/5265695126/

Welcome to the PF.

What does your laptop specify for its input DC voltage?

Hi, I found this in the laptop adaptor:

input: AC 100-240V 1.7A 50-60Hz
output: DC 18.5V 3.5A 65W

Thanks!

There are several things to consider, but in the end, you might be better off simply purchasing a couple extra laptop batteries @ $27 each:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-HP-DV4-DV5-HSTNN-CB72-HSTNN-UB72-Laptop-/200502553753?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item2eaee22c99

Designing and building a charge controller is certainly very possible, but the time and cost associate would be extreme compared to the cost of spare laptop batteries. At least from MY perspective,

Fish

Hi Fish, Thanks for the suggestion. The cheapest Laptop Battery for HP DV4 DV5 HSTNN-CB72 HSTNN-UB72 is roughly $80 here in the Philippines (Php 3,500) so that would make $160 for 2 items. Though buying lots of extra batteries is the simplest option, cost-wise, it can't be my solution. I still have to deal with cellphones and compact cams batteries. Spending for all these batteries would imply draining our tight budget for our intended trip. It simply don't equate.

BongEx,

I assume this is similar to your drill:
http://www.ozito.com.au/productinfo.aspx?prodid=OZLICHD18A
Note the battery spec: 1.3Ah 18V = 23.4Wh
Your Laptop Battery: 4.2Ah 10.8V = 47Wh

Assuming you could transfer the charge from both your drill batteries to your laptop battery with 100% efficiency, AND assuming the Ni-Cad drill batteries are still capable of holding 100% rated capacity, you would be able to charge your laptop battery to 99% once, completely draining both drill batteries. I would doubt that your drill batteries will hold more than 75% of their rated capacity, and you would be lucky to transfer the charge with 80% efficiency (combined battery heat losses & DC to DC charge controller losses), so:

46.8Wh * .75 * .8 = 31.59Wh => 28.08/47 =59.7%

That is, you would, under what I would consider the best of circumstances, be able to charge your laptop to 59.7% using your two drill batteries. More realistically you might expect to charge your laptop battery to 40% to 50% using both drill batteries.

Assuming this is worthwhile, I would suggest you find a "car charger" for your laptop and modify it to connect to your drill batteries. This is far and above the cheapest/safest alternative. Your laptop already has the most efficient charge controller you could hope to find for that battery pack already built into it.

Using the same process for your 3.7V 1.08Ah cell-phone battery:

3.7V * 1.08Ah = 3.996Wh ==> 46.8Wh / 3.996Wh = 11.7 Charges In theory, in reality:
46.8 * .75 * .8 => 28.08 / 3.996 = 7 Charges

Again, I would strongly suggest you simply buy a "Car Charger" designed for the battery you are attempting to charge. While these are not likely to be as efficient as the laptop charger, they are cheap and safe for your intended purpose.

The camera battery is similar to the cell-phone.

While charging batteries is not rocket science, and designing/building DC to DC charge controllers is not a huge undertaking, adequate care needs to be taken to prevent damage to the batteries being charged. This includes fairly intimate knowledge about each battery being charged. Damage may range from shortened battery life to catastrophic failure (Read: Exploding Battery). I would consider the risk/reward ratio of designing and building three charge controllers for 46.8W of power abysmal.

If you purchased a "car charger" for your camera, cell-phone and your laptop and added a 25W solar panel, you could likely keep all three batteries charged with as little as 4 hours of direct sunlight/day. A 25W solar panel in the US ranges from ~$100 to ~$250.

I am sorry if these solutions do not meet your needs/budget, but maintaining high-tech devices in remote locations is generally expensive. Renewable Energy is typically quoted from $4/W to $20/W, but is typically far and away cheaper/more practical than toting generators to remote locations. Purchasing spare batteries for short duration trips vs purchasing and carrying something like a solar panel depends a lot on the trip/location/budget. In any case, I cannot see the 46.8Wh capacity of your two drill batteries doing much more than charging your phone/camera batteries. The laptop will require a more robust solution.

Hope this helps,

Fish

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have someone coming into resupply you every day (or even every few days) consider getting some deep cycle car / marine batteries, a plug-in car battery charger, and a small inverter that takes in 12 V as input (and, obviously, produces 110 V AC as output). You can just plug in your devices as you normally do.

Your supplier could then drop off the charged batteries while picking up the empty ones. You'll probably need a voltmeter to determine if your batteries are empty (around 10 V as opposed to the 13 they start out at).

Related to How can I convert 18v cordless drill battery to recharge laptop, compact camera?

1. Can I use any 18v cordless drill battery to recharge my laptop or compact camera?

No, not all 18v cordless drill batteries are compatible with laptops or compact cameras. It is important to check the voltage, amperage, and connector type of the battery before attempting to use it to recharge your devices.

2. What tools do I need to convert an 18v cordless drill battery?

The tools required will depend on the specific battery and devices you are working with. However, some common tools that may be needed include wire cutters, a soldering iron, and a multimeter to test the voltage and connections.

3. Is it safe to convert an 18v cordless drill battery?

Converting a battery can be dangerous if not done properly. It is important to follow safety precautions and use the correct tools and materials. If you are not experienced with electronics, it is recommended to seek assistance from a professional.

4. Will converting an 18v cordless drill battery void its warranty?

Most manufacturers will void the warranty if the battery is tampered with or modified in any way. It is important to check the warranty terms and conditions before attempting to convert the battery.

5. Can I use the converted 18v cordless drill battery to power other devices?

As long as the voltage and amperage of the converted battery are suitable for the device, it can be used to power other devices. However, it is important to note that the battery may not have the same capacity or lifespan as a dedicated battery for that device.

Back