How can I convert 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz for my guitar synthesizer?

In summary, the electronic expert believes that it is safe to connect an 12V battery directly to the input of the rectifier on the Boss GR20 guitar sinthetizer.
SCMatrix
Hi there :)
I need to build or buy an inverter that transforms 12V DC to 14 AC 50Hz. It's for my guitar sinthetizer, i need to play with it in the street with my 12V batteries. I've tried with an 12V->220AC inverter pure sine (from Velleman) but it introduces to much noise in the guitar.
Any help or ideas I'll be precious.
Thanks,
A. Soares

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the instrument comes with a 220 V - 14 V AC transformer adapter and you want to replace it with the inverter, yes? If this is the case, you may be able to forgo the intermediary and connect directly to the battery with an appropriate cable. The reason is that nearly all electronics which take an AC supply have a a bridge rectifier, along with some filtering, to convert that AC to DC. The bridge rectifier can also accept a DC input and because of the way it works, the polarity doesn't matter. The other advantage to this is that it will entirely eliminate AC hum as an issue.

The only possible pitfall I can see is if the equipment uses a transformer (DC causes transformers to saturate) to change the 14 VAC to something else but this is something I've never seen done. There's no point; if you're going to use a transformer anyway, you might as well get one that accepts line voltage and steps it down to what you need. You're pretty safe in trying, I think, as long as you unplug it right away if it doesn't work.

Hi :)
"I'm assuming the instrument comes with a 220 V - 14 V AC "
You're right.

So do you think it's completely safe to connect an 12V battery directly to the input of the rectifier, althought it's an 14VAC input? Just to see if it works,...
By the way it's an Boss GR20 guitar sinthetizer. I've contacted an Boss technician and he told me that the sinthetizer need 50Hz for it's internal circuits/effects, I don't know, i doubt it ...

Thanks, greetings :)
A. Soares

I can't state with complete confidence that it's 100% safe--it's conceivable, albeit unlikely, there's some weird engineering going on in there. I can only state with a high level of confidence that I believe it will work, based on 30+ years of dealing with electronics. I completely understand if you prefer not to take my word, especially if it's an expensive piece of gear!

Worth taking the lid off to find out though.
If the AC input goes to something like this:
180px-Bridge_rectifiers.jpg

These are bridge rectifiers and it is probably OK to run the device off a battery or at least to take it to someone who will check it and tell you for sure.

Hi there :)
And thanks for your help.
I've been with a friend, electronic expert. And he said that my sinthetizer Boss GR20 has DC after the bridge (+12V and -12V).
I'm going to try this weekend with two batteries connected to the right points in the PCB.
Greetings :)

Related to How can I convert 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz for my guitar synthesizer?

1. What is a 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter?

A 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter is a type of electrical device that converts direct current (DC) electricity from a 12-volt battery or power source into alternating current (AC) electricity at a frequency of 50Hz. This allows DC-powered devices to be used with AC power sources.

2. How does a 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter work?

A 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter works by using electronic components such as transistors and capacitors to convert the DC input into a pulsating AC output at the desired frequency. This output is then filtered and smoothed to produce a stable AC output suitable for powering devices that require AC electricity.

3. What are the common uses for a 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter?

A 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter is commonly used in off-grid or mobile applications, such as in RVs, boats, and solar power systems. It can also be used as a backup power source during power outages or in remote locations where access to grid power is limited.

4. What are the advantages of using a 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter?

The main advantage of using a 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter is its ability to convert DC power into AC power, allowing for the use of a wider range of electronic devices. It also provides a more stable and consistent power output compared to using a DC battery directly. Additionally, it is more efficient and cost-effective than using a generator or other alternative power sources.

5. What should I consider when choosing a 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter?

When choosing a 12V DC to 14AC 50Hz inverter, you should consider factors such as the power rating, input and output voltage and frequency, efficiency, and safety features. It is important to select an inverter that can handle the power requirements of your devices and is compatible with your power source. It is also recommended to choose an inverter from a reputable brand to ensure quality and reliability.