Friction coefficient waterslide

In summary, the conversation was about a waterslide and whether it is faster when wet or dry. Some ideas were discussed, including the coefficient of friction, the use of water to increase speed, and the effects on the body. It was determined that the addition of water decreases the coefficient of friction and allows for a faster slide. An experiment with a latex ball was used to illustrate this concept.
Foraker
Someone was talking to me about a waterslide. And she said that when the waterslide they would slide a lot faster then if the slide was wet. I was thinking about this, but the only thing i can think of is that the coefficient of friction on dry fiberglass is less then that of water on fiberglass, but that doesn't sound right because my bathtub doesn't seem slipperier(?) when its dry. Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do believe that your correct in thinking that the waterslide has more friction when its dry than when its wet, otherwise there would be no need for water on the water slide, would there, also just think of the album by Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet".

well i think the end of the ride ended with a lot of swearing, because going faster gave them a lot of bruises because they were flying around in there. But i don't think rides would put water in them to slow it down.

Nah they wouldnt, should try to get some smarter people in this thread to explain it better, i know (well think i know) that the water will increase the speed because it provides a surface with less friction than that of the normal surface on which you slide on, but I am not sure how to explain it in a better way than that.

Originally posted by Foraker
Someone was talking to me about a waterslide. And she said that when the waterslide they would slide a lot faster then if the slide was wet.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand this statement. Are there perhaps some words missing from it?

Was your friend telling you that they would slide faster when the slide was dry than they would when it was wet?

If they were going down a waterslide while it was dry, I should think they'd have more than some bruises to worry about. I once grabbed the sides to slow my descent (the person in front of me had not gotten off), and burned blisters into my hands with less than 1/2 second of contact. I hate to think what such contact would do to the posterior! Was this a slide with those rubber mats to sit on?

The bottom of your tub

is specially treated so that it won't be slippery when wet. But if the slide is treated, it will be so that it will be more slippery when wet.

Try to imagine this :
Get a Latex ball, and put it on a dry waterslide.
Then, get the same Latex ball, and put it on the same waterslide, but this time, let it be wet.
You will see that in the first case, the ball will not slip (well, it can slip, but the chance of it sliping will be less than the chance when the waterslide is wet).
Draw an illustration, and see what are the forces holding the ball, you will notice there is ONLY friction holding the ball (actually, a similar experiment is used to calculate the coefficient of friction of matters).
On the other hand, in the case when the waterslide was wet, the ball will slide (again, it might not slide, but its chance of sliding will be bigger), if you try to notice the change in forces between case1 and case2, you will see that only a change in friction is possible (since the weight of the ball will not change, the normal force will not change (remember, you are on the same waterslide), so only friction will change).
So it is clear that the friction force on the ball changed when water was added, and since the normal didn't change, then the coefficient of friction is what is changed (remember that friction force depends on normal force and coefficient of friction).
Does this help ?

1. What is the friction coefficient of a waterslide?

The friction coefficient of a waterslide can vary depending on factors such as the material of the slide, the amount of water on the surface, and the weight and speed of the rider. In general, the friction coefficient ranges from 0.1 to 0.2, with a lower coefficient resulting in a faster and smoother ride.

2. How does the friction coefficient affect the speed of a rider on a waterslide?

The friction coefficient plays a crucial role in determining the speed of a rider on a waterslide. A lower friction coefficient means there is less resistance between the slide and the rider, allowing for a faster and smoother ride. On the other hand, a higher friction coefficient will result in a slower and less smooth ride.

3. Can the friction coefficient of a waterslide be changed?

Yes, the friction coefficient of a waterslide can be altered by adjusting factors such as the material of the slide, the amount of water on the surface, and the weight and speed of the rider. For example, adding more water to the surface of the slide can decrease the friction coefficient and result in a faster ride.

4. How does the friction coefficient impact the safety of a waterslide?

The friction coefficient can play a role in the safety of a waterslide. A lower friction coefficient may result in a faster ride, but it can also increase the risk of the rider losing control and getting injured. A higher friction coefficient may result in a slower ride, but it can also provide more control and stability for the rider.

5. How is the friction coefficient of a waterslide measured?

The friction coefficient of a waterslide is typically measured using a device called a tribometer. This device measures the amount of friction between two surfaces by applying a known force and measuring the resulting resistance. The coefficient of friction is then calculated using this data.