A question regarding Potential Energy

In summary: So, you gave energy to Earth, but you got the energy from Sun, and Earth gave the energy to Sun, and Sun to Earth...I think it's just a matter of reference.But, ok, let's suppose the Earth goes away with 2m/s, you don't have potential energy to Earth, but you don't have potential energy to Sun either, because the Earth and Sun are both moving, so you cannot say which one is moving.I hope you understand what I am trying to say with my poor english.Regards,StailessIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of potential energy in relation to the Earth's gravity. It is stated that potential energy is created when work is done to lift
brum
Let's say I lift a 50 pound weight with my arms to shoulder height (say, 4 feet). The "work" that I did to get the weight up there (the energy I put in) has now been converted to "potential energy" because it is perched in a position where it can then convert that into kinetic energy.

But, that potential energy is there only because of the Earth's gravity, right? If I were to let go of the weight, it would convert the energy I put into lift it (potential energy) into kinetic energy -- falling towards Earth.

In other words, that potential energy exists only because of Earth's gravity.

Suppose I were to lift the weight 4 feet in the air, and then Earth disappeared or vanished or lost a lot of mass or whatever. Just say the Earth went away. Wouldn't the weight then lose its potential energy (because the Earth is no longer there)?

EDIT: How would this situation satisfy the Conservation of Energy rule?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the Earth just "disappeared", you wouldn't conserve energy, or mass.

JMD

Originally posted by brum
Wouldn't the weight then lose its potential energy (because the Earth is no longer there)?
Yes.
Originally posted by brum
How would this situation satisfy the Conservation of Energy rule?
It wouldn't (unless the Earth "dissapeared" at less than
the speed of light :wink:).

Live long and prosper.

The concept of potential energy depends upon a potential, which is nothing more than a way to express a field. Without a gravitational field, there is no such thing as gravitational potential energy.

- Warren

brum wrote
Let's say I lift a 50 pound weight with my arms to shoulder height (say, 4 feet). The "work" that I did to get the weight up there (the energy I put in) has now been converted to "potential energy" because it is perched in a position where it can then convert that into kinetic energy.

But, that potential energy is there only because of the Earth's gravity, right? If I were to let go of the weight, it would convert the energy I put into lift it (potential energy) into kinetic energy -- falling towards Earth.

In other words, that potential energy exists only because of Earth's gravity.
In lifting the weight you have to move it obviously. Think of the force being constant and the velovity you lift it with constant as well. As soon as you let go the energy will be constant since you're no longer doing work on the system. The weight has kinetic energy since it was moving and it has a potential energy since you stopped applying the force at a non-zero height above the ground. The quantity

E = "Kinetic Energy (T)" + "Potential Energy (U)"

is constant. I.e.

E = T + U = constant

The force F can be written in terms of the potential energy U as

F = -grad U

where "grad" is the gradient operator. In one dimension, say "z", that becomes (for one a potential with one variable)

F = -dU/dz

The gravitational field sometimes defined in terms of a "gravitational potential," Phi, defined as Potential Energy per unit mass. I.e.

Phi = U/m

So you're right. No gravitatiolnal fieldno potential energy.
Suppose I were to lift the weight 4 feet in the air, and then Earth disappeared or vanished or lost a lot of mass or whatever. Just say the Earth went away. Wouldn't the weight then lose its potential energy (because the Earth is no longer there)?

EDIT: How would this situation satisfy the Conservation of Energy rule?

If the Earth's gravitational field just turned off then it would violate the principle of the conservation of energy since there is energy associated with the gravitational field itself.

Hope that helps

Pete

Brum, you have conclusively proved that, due to the conservation of mass and energy, the Earth cannot simply disappear!

Whew, that's a relief!

Just say the Earth went away
If it went away suddenly, and disappeared, it will be against the rules of conservation of mass and energy, but let's suppose the Earth went away slowly (less than c), and for some reason you didn't stay on it.
In this case, this (moving the Earth away from you) will need energy to be given to the Earth to move away from you, and this will be a potential energy in the Earth to you (well, and you will also have potential energy towards earth), so the law of conservation of energy will still be valid.

Originally posted by STAii
If it went away suddenly, and disappeared, it will be against the rules of conservation of mass and energy, but let's suppose the Earth went away slowly (less than c), and for some reason you didn't stay on it.
In this case, this (moving the Earth away from you) will need energy to be given to the Earth to move away from you, and this will be a potential energy in the Earth to you (well, and you will also have potential energy towards earth), so the law of conservation of energy will still be valid.
There's little cause to say that the Earth is moving and not you. So what is the cause/reason that you don't move with it? There is work being done on you giving you energy

Pete

Well, you cannot know if actually the energy is yours or the earth's.
You see, when you have potential energy to earth, Earth has potential energy to you too.
In my example, it could be that you are connected to the sun for example :smile:

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. The amount of potential energy an object has depends on its mass, height, and the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is the energy of movement, while potential energy is stored energy that can be converted into kinetic energy.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a raised weight, a compressed spring, and water behind a dam. In each of these examples, energy is stored and can be released to do work when the object is allowed to return to its original state.

4. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the ground. This formula assumes that the object is near the Earth's surface, where the force of gravity is constant.

5. What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field, while elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a stretched or compressed object. Chemical potential energy is the energy stored in the chemical bonds of a substance, and nuclear potential energy is the energy stored in the nucleus of an atom.