Tricky Tricky little Identities

• Thread starter majinknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, the conversation is about a person receiving trigonometric proving identity questions from their friend and needing assistance with solving them. They are stuck on a particular step and are asking for help. The problem is eventually solved in three steps, with the final solution being 2sec^2(x).
majinknight
My friend sent me some Trigonometric proving identity questions to practise and i am usually good at them but i haven't done them for a while so i have gotten a bit rusty plus these ones to me are very difficult so i would like some assistance.
Prove 1/1+sin + 1/1-sinx = 2secsquaredx.
ok so left side looks hardest so i started with that and did it first. It may look confusing writing the divisions.

1/1+sinx + 1/1-sinx
1/1+ cosx/cotx + 1/cosx
cotx+1/cosx + 1/cosx
cotx+1/cosx + 1
cscx/cosx +1
Ok so that is where i have gotten to and it doesn't seem like i can get it to equal the right side. I think i have screwed up a step and i would like any assistance if possible. Please help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are making it look harder than it is... Just a 3 step problem.

[tex]\frac{1}{1+sinx} + \frac{1}{1-sinx} = \frac{2}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{(1+sinx)(1-sinx)} = ...[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{1 - sin^2(x)} = \frac{2}{cos^2(x)} = 2sec^2(x)[/tex]

Oh you skipped step where you make bases same but you it works, thankyou very much.

Last edited:

What is the concept of "Tricky Tricky little Identities"?

"Tricky Tricky little Identities" refers to a mathematical concept where two or more expressions are equivalent or equal to each other, but may not appear to be at first glance.

Why are "Tricky Tricky little Identities" important in science?

These identities are important because they allow for simplification of complex equations, making it easier to analyze and understand data. They also help in identifying patterns and relationships between different variables.

How can one identify "Tricky Tricky little Identities"?

One can identify these identities by looking for patterns, using algebraic manipulation, or by using known identities such as the distributive property, commutative property, or the Pythagorean theorem.

Can "Tricky Tricky little Identities" be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, these identities can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can help in solving real-world problems and making predictions based on data analysis.

Are there any common mistakes when working with "Tricky Tricky little Identities"?

One common mistake is assuming that two expressions are not equivalent without properly simplifying or manipulating the equations. It is also important to pay attention to negative signs and exponents when working with these identities.