How can I calculate torque from wind for a specific wind turbine design?

In summary, finding the torque that wind turbine blades would produce with specific wind conditions, such as 8' diameter blades at 10 mph wind, is not a simple calculation and requires a lot of data and analysis. To determine torque, you can measure the output of the system or use a sophisticated stress analysis software during the design process.
dcaldwell
how would i go about finding the torque that wind turbine blades would produce with my wind conditions, for example 8' diameter blades at 10 mph wind?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you could somehow fix a suspended scale between the ground and the end of a rising blade.

It isn't something that can be easily calculated (and certainly not with that information) and typically not a relevant thing to know anyway.

dcaldwell said:
how would i go about finding the torque that wind turbine blades would produce with my wind conditions, for example 8' diameter blades at 10 mph wind?

I think you are asking how much torque it produces as it relates to generating electrical power. If so, you can just measure the output of the system, the generator produces X amount of power at Y MPH wind. The blades have a huge effect on conversion efficiency so there would have to be a lot more data on blade type, the angle of attack, etc. Also mechanical inefficiencies would play into how much actual power comes off the wind system. You could measure the torque on a given blade by holding the blades from moving and hooking the shaft to a measuring device, for instance, a pulley on the blade shaft hooked to a weight scale and just reading how many pounds or Kg's the system generates. Of course that would be on an already existing blade and tower. You would need a sophisticated stress analysis software to get an idea of the torque before you design it. It would not be a simple analysis.

The company I work for is currently contracted for wind turbine designs, so this is a fortunate question.

In actuality, there are a lot more variables here. You need air density (based on temperature and pressure), and you need to know camber (upper and lower), angle of attack of the blades, chord length of the airfoil, blade length, and taper.

Last edited:

Related to How can I calculate torque from wind for a specific wind turbine design?

1. What is torque and how is it related to wind?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. In the context of wind, torque is the force that causes a rotational motion on an object such as a wind turbine. This force is generated by the wind's kinetic energy and is dependent on the speed and direction of the wind.

2. How is torque calculated from wind?

To determine the torque from wind, the following equation can be used: Torque = (0.5 * air density * wind speed^2 * blade area * lift coefficient) * radius. This formula takes into account the air density, wind speed, blade area, lift coefficient, and radius of the object to calculate the torque.

3. What factors can affect the torque generated by wind?

The torque generated by wind can be affected by a variety of factors including the wind speed, air density, blade design and size, and the angle of attack of the blades. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions, turbulence, and changes in wind direction can also impact the torque generated.

4. How can torque from wind be measured?

There are a few ways in which torque from wind can be measured. One method is by using a torque sensor attached to the wind turbine's shaft. Another method is by using strain gauges on the blades to measure the force applied by the wind. Additionally, computational simulations and wind tunnel tests can also be used to estimate the torque generated by wind.

5. What are some applications of determining torque from wind?

Determining torque from wind is crucial in the design and optimization of wind turbines for energy production. It is also important in the study of aerodynamics and the development of renewable energy technologies. Additionally, knowing the torque generated by wind can aid in the prediction and mitigation of potential structural issues and maintenance needs in wind turbine systems.