How can I calculate the usage of a generator for a system?

In summary: But if you're measuring the current at the motor stator terminals (or whatever), you're not measuring the total current, you're measuring the sum of the individual phases. So if you have three phases and the motor is drawing 3.33 amps, the reading on the meter would be 12.7 watts. In summary, you should calculate the kva of the generator, add 25% for a fudge factor, and then multiply that number by the current draw at the motor stator terminals.
Harry1984
I've got an RO system and due to power fluctuations I need a generator for it. Can you tell me of what KVA generator should i buy for it and how to go about the calculations. Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
Moving to EE section...

Welcome to PF! Sure, we can help, but you haven't told us anything about the RO unit's power requirements!

Note: there shouldn't be much, if anything, to calculate here.

Thank You Sir.

This is the quotation i got for 5000gallons/day.

There are different pumps to be installed and their respective power consumption values are given.

Kindly help me out in this issue.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Quotation (2).docx
    31.9 KB · Views: 256
Harry1984 said:
Thank You Sir.

This is the quotation i got for 5000gallons/day.

There are different pumps to be installed and their respective power consumption values are given.

Kindly help me out in this issue.

Thanks.
You need to add up all the power needed for the various components. One of these is not listed (your well pump).

I see:
  • Water feed pump -- 2kW (1.1kW is also listed; use the bigger number)
  • High pressure pump -- 3 kW
  • Pre-dosing pump -- 0.5kW
  • Drip cleaning pump -- 0.55kW
  • Anti-scalant dosing pump -- ?
  • Bore pump (well pump?) -- ?
In addition you will likely want some extra power for lights, small appliances (your laptop) or other miscellaneous gear. Bore pumps vary quite a bit depending on the depth of the well and the amount of water needed. (Remember you will need lots of extra water for backwash, etc. maybe 50,000 gallons extra for a 5,000 gallon output.)

As a rough guess, 2kw. More for a deep well. I would guess the Anti-scalant pump is similar to the regular dosing pump at 0.5W.

This gives a sum of about 10kW. You might have a minor power factor problem with all those motors.

You should be able to find a qualified installer who will sell you a system which integrates with utility power and comes on automatically when the power fails. They will run the numbers for you, but this should give you a ballpark figure.

Your power utility should also be able to give you historical data of your own power usage. I say that because there may be loads that aren't mentioned in the RO specifications.

To allow for uncertainty and future expansion, I would add 30% margin to the generator capacity you calculate.

Good luck

I connect a lot of generators and use a very simple method

Measure the current drawn using a grip-ammeter (you can do this during the times of highest load if you want) at the intake

Convert to KW, add fudge factor (25%)

done

anorlunda said:
Your power utility should also be able to give you historical data of your own power usage. I say that because there may be loads that aren't mentioned in the RO specifications.

To allow for uncertainty and future expansion, I would add 30% margin to the generator capacity you calculate.

Good luck

I like adding 30%.

I would be cautious about using the power company's data. It is unlikely all the pumps are typically on at the same time, thus the numbers could be low. But all the pumps could be on at the same time, so the generator needs to be able to supply that amount.

William White said:
I connect a lot of generators and use a very simple method

Measure the current drawn using a grip-ammeter (you can do this during the times of highest load if you want) at the intake

Convert to KW, add fudge factor (25%)

done
My understanding is that you should NOT convert to kW because the generator's limitation is that amperage through the windings, which means that when you have poor power factor (such as when running multiple small motors at part load), you risk burning it out. Perhaps residential generators aren't rated by kva, but I'm pretty sure commercial ones are.

But if anything, calculating the kva and using it as kw would provide the extra safety factor needed if the generator is rated by kw and the max amperage isn't specified.

russ_watters said:
My understanding is that you should NOT convert to kW because the generator's limitation is that amperage through the windings, which means that when you have poor power factor (such as when running multiple small motors at part load), you risk burning it out. Perhaps residential generators aren't rated by kva, but I'm pretty sure commercial ones are.

But if anything, calculating the kva and using it as kw would provide the extra safety factor needed if the generator is rated by kw and the max amperage isn't specified.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is my understanding that a bad power factor is caused by current being out of phase with voltage. Because the current is out of phase, it does register as power (and isn't power for that matter). But it will still register as current.

William White's measurements should work because he's measuring total current. Where he went wrong is in semantics. He called his measurements kW instead of kVA.

When I worked in power distribution I connected generators live to the LV distribution grid a lot

There was the complicated way,

and the easy way.

Add up the all the currents in all the phases, divide by 4* and add a bit - and that's the answer in KW (which is what one would ramp the generator up to before closing its breaker onto the grid)

This ALWAYS works, you can do it in your head in a second

One can over-complicate matters. Connecting generators is easy peasy.So, if my grip ammeter read, 50A, 120A and 90A that's 260A, divide by 4

add bit

ramp generator up to 75-ish KW

*Assumes 4 amps per KW, which is a good approximation for the UK and allows an easy in your head division (halve you current, then halve it again). In other countries you could have the rule of thumb by dividing by whatever convient number you need.

Last edited:

Related to How can I calculate the usage of a generator for a system?

1. How do I determine the power requirements for my system?

To calculate the usage of a generator for a system, you first need to determine the power requirements of your system. This can be done by adding up the power ratings of all the devices and appliances that will be connected to the generator. Make sure to also account for any surge or starting wattage requirements.

2. What is the formula for calculating generator usage?

The formula for calculating generator usage is: (Total Power Requirement x Usage Hours) / Efficiency = Fuel Consumption. This will give you the estimated amount of fuel needed for your generator to run for a specific amount of time.

3. How do I find the efficiency of my generator?

The efficiency of a generator can be found on its specifications sheet or by contacting the manufacturer. It is typically expressed as a percentage and indicates how much of the fuel's energy is converted into electrical power.

4. Is there a way to estimate the fuel consumption of a generator?

Yes, you can estimate the fuel consumption of a generator by using the formula mentioned above. Keep in mind that the actual fuel consumption may vary depending on factors such as the load on the generator, temperature, and altitude.

5. Can I use a smaller generator if I only need power for a few hours?

It is possible to use a smaller generator for a shorter period of time, but it is important to make sure that the generator can handle the initial surge of power that may be required by certain devices. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size of generator for your specific needs.