How can I calculate the force between finite coil and metal plate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force between a finite coil and a nearby metal plate. The coil generates a magnetic field which produces eddy currents in the plate, resulting in repulsion between the two. The speaker is unsure how to calculate the force and if there is an easier way to estimate it without calculating the eddy current. They also mention the material properties of the plate and a forum link for further information.
eastblue
Hi,

I would like to calculate the force between a finite coil and a nearby metal plate. A pulsed current is supposed to flow into the magnetic coil, which will generate a magnetic field near the coil. Due to this magnetic field, an Eddy current will be produced in a nearby metal plate and finally there will be a repulsion between the coil and the plate.

I was able to calculate the magnetic field on the metal plate, but I am not sure how to calculate the force between the coil and the plate. Can we actually calculate the Eddy current? Is there easier way to estimate the force without calculating the Eddy current? Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The coil will have a magnetic field due to the current in the coil.
Part of the magnetic field will be near the plate.
The magnetic field produces eddy currents - well done.
When the magnet is first switched on and brought close it repels the plate.

If the plate is iron-like, it may be attracted to a stationary constant magnet. You need to know how the plate responds to a magnetic field - this is a material property that you look up.
Also see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=612464

Related to How can I calculate the force between finite coil and metal plate?

1. What is the equation for calculating the force between a finite coil and a metal plate?

The equation for calculating the force between a finite coil and a metal plate is given by F = (μ0 * N * I^2 * A) / (2 * g^2), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, A is the area of the coil, and g is the distance between the coil and the plate.

2. How do I determine the permeability of free space for the calculation?

The permeability of free space, μ0, is a constant value and is equal to 4π * 10^-7 N/A^2. This value can be found in most physics reference books or online sources.

3. Can this equation be used for any size or shape of coil and metal plate?

Yes, this equation can be used for any size or shape of coil and metal plate as long as the distance between the two is relatively small compared to their sizes. This is known as the "near-field" region.

4. What unit of measurement should I use for the force calculation?

The unit of measurement for the force calculation will depend on the units used for the other variables in the equation. Generally, the force will be measured in newtons (N) or dynes (dyne = 10^-5 N).

5. Is this equation accurate for all types of metals?

This equation is accurate for most types of metals, as long as the metal is considered to be non-magnetic. If the metal is magnetic, the equation will need to be modified to account for the magnetic properties of the metal.