How Can I Calculate the Cauchy Sum of a Taylor Polynomial in Maple?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the Cauchy sum of the Taylor polynomial of \exp x \sin x using maple. The speaker mentions using different commands in maple and also brings up the issue of setting a value for n. They also question whether \sum_{k=0}^n {\frac { \left( -1 \right) ^{k}{x}^{n+k+1}}{ \left( 2\,k+1 \right) !\,\left( n-k \right)!}} is the correct Cauchy sum for this series and considers the problem of symmetry in the Cauchy formula.
Simfish
Gold Member
So...

I want to find the Cauchy sum of the Taylor polynomial of [tex]\exp x \sin x[/tex]. I know how to do this with maple, which only requires the command
taylor(sin(x)*exp(x), x = 0, n). I can also try the good old [tex]f(a)+\frac{f'(a)}{1!}(x-a)+\frac{f''(a)}{2!}(x-a)^2+\frac{f^{(3)}(a)}{3!}(x-a)^3+\cdots[/tex] formula, but that isn't the learning objective. But I want to see if I did the Cauchy summation correctly with maple, and maple has different commands for summing up polynomial series. So I use the maple command.

sum((-1)^k*x^(n+k+1)/(factorial(2*k+1)*factorial(n-k)), k = 0 .. n)

Problem is, how can I set a value to n?

Is [tex]\sum_{k=0}^n {\frac { \left( -1 \right) ^{k}{x}^{n+k+1}}{ \left( 2\,k+1 \right) !\,\left( n-k \right)!}}[/tex] the right Cauchy sum of this series anyhow?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
test...

The problem here is that this is when [tex]a_n = \sin x , b_n = \exp x[/tex]. When I set [tex]b_n = \sin x, a_n = \exp x[/tex], I get [tex]\sum_{k=0}^n {\frac { \left( -1 \right) ^{n-k}{x}^{n-2k+1}}{ \left( 2\,n - 2k + 1 \right) !\,\left( n)!}}[/tex]

The other problem is that in the Cauchy formula [tex]c_n=\sum_{k=0}^n a_k b_{n-k}[/tex] I expect [tex]a_n[/tex] and [tex]b_n[/tex] to be symmetrical. But yet when I set u = n - k, where [tex]k \in [0,n], u \in [n, 0] [/tex], which would be a backwards summation. Is there a better way to ensure symmetry of the two terms?

The command you used in maple, sum((-1)^k*x^(n+k+1)/(factorial(2*k+1)*factorial(n-k)), k = 0 .. n), is the correct way to find the Cauchy sum of a Taylor polynomial in maple. It is important to note that for Cauchy summation, n should be a fixed value and not a variable. So in order to set a value for n, you can simply replace it with a numerical value in the command, for example, sum((-1)^k*x^(n+k+1)/(factorial(2*k+1)*factorial(n-k)), k = 0 .. 5) would give you the Cauchy sum up to n=5.

As for your second question, yes, \sum_{k=0}^n {\frac { \left( -1 \right) ^{k}{x}^{n+k+1}}{ \left( 2\,k+1 \right) !\,\left( n-k \right)!}} is the correct Cauchy sum for the series \exp x \sin x. This can be verified by comparing it with the Taylor polynomial of the series, which is given by taylor(sin(x)*exp(x), x = 0, n).

Related to How Can I Calculate the Cauchy Sum of a Taylor Polynomial in Maple?

1. What is Cauchy summation in Maple?

Cauchy summation in Maple is a method for summing infinite series in the mathematical software Maple. It is based on the Cauchy principal value, which is a type of regularization technique used to assign a finite value to certain divergent integrals or series.

2. How does Cauchy summation work in Maple?

Cauchy summation in Maple works by first identifying the terms in an infinite series that are causing the series to diverge. These terms are then modified or truncated in a way that allows for the series to be summed to a finite value. The resulting sum is known as the Cauchy sum.

3. What are the advantages of using Cauchy summation in Maple?

One of the main advantages of Cauchy summation in Maple is that it allows for the summation of certain infinite series that would otherwise be impossible to sum. It also provides a way to assign a meaningful value to divergent series, which can be useful in certain mathematical contexts.

4. Are there any limitations to using Cauchy summation in Maple?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Cauchy summation in Maple. It is only applicable to certain types of infinite series, and it may not always provide a unique or meaningful solution. Additionally, the results of Cauchy summation may be sensitive to the choice of truncation or modification method.

5. How can I use Cauchy summation in Maple?

To use Cauchy summation in Maple, you can use the built-in function CauchySum or the SumTools package. These tools allow you to specify the infinite series you want to sum and the method of truncation or modification. You can also adjust various parameters to fine-tune the results of the summation.