How can I calculate rotation angles from a 3D vector without a rotation matrix?

In summary, the person is working on a java applet and wants to rotate an object based on its velocity vector. They are looking for help on calculating the Euler angles for rotation in all three axes and are considering using quaternions. They have found resources online for calculating Euler angles from a rotation matrix, but are unsure if they need to first calculate the rotation matrix from the velocity vector. They have also found information on using quaternions for rotation, but some sources say they are overrated. They personally prefer using matrices for rotation.
Hello folks!

So, I'm working on a java applet where I want to rotate an object to point in the direction that it is moving. I have its velocity stored as a 3D vector (x,y,z) and I am using a 3D library that allows for rotation on any axis (x,y, or z).

It's my understanding that I need to calculate the Euler angles for rotation along all 3 axes. I've found a lot of help online for calculating Euler angles from a rotation matrix. My issue is that I don't have a rotation matrix, i just have the velocity vector of the object. Can anyone help me understand how to calculate rotation angles from a 3D vector? Do I need to first calculate a rotation matrix and then calculate Euler angles?

My pseudo-code for what I am attempting is as follows:

angle1 = getXRotation(velocity);
angle2 = getYRotation(velocity);
angle3 = getZRotation(velocity);

translate(location)
rotateX(angle1)
rotateY(angle2)
rotateZ(angle3)
draw object!

Thanks all!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try to search quaternion, SU(3), unit complex number, etc. Quaternion may help you to simplify a lot of calculation.

Related to How can I calculate rotation angles from a 3D vector without a rotation matrix?

1. What are rotation angles for 3D vectors?

Rotation angles for 3D vectors are a set of three angles that are used to describe the orientation of a 3D vector in space. These angles are typically referred to as pitch, roll, and yaw, and are used to determine the direction and magnitude of rotation needed to transform the vector from its initial position to its final position.

2. How are rotation angles calculated for 3D vectors?

Rotation angles for 3D vectors are typically calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific calculations depend on the coordinate system being used and the desired orientation of the vector.

3. Why are rotation angles important in 3D vector applications?

Rotation angles are important in 3D vector applications because they allow for precise control over the orientation of objects in 3D space. They are commonly used in computer graphics, robotics, and engineering to accurately position and manipulate objects.

4. Can rotation angles for 3D vectors be negative?

Yes, rotation angles for 3D vectors can be negative. This typically occurs when the vector is rotated in the opposite direction of its initial orientation. The sign of the angle can also be dependent on the coordinate system being used.

5. Are there any limitations to using rotation angles for 3D vectors?

One limitation of using rotation angles for 3D vectors is that they can become ambiguous when dealing with rotations that exceed 360 degrees. This is because multiple sets of rotation angles can produce the same final orientation of the vector. Additionally, certain types of rotations, such as gimbal lock, can cause unexpected behavior when using rotation angles.