How Can I Calculate Rocket Exhaust Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the exhaust temperature and velocity of a rocket. The speaker mentions assigning 1.4 atmospheres to the inlet gas pressure at 300 degrees C and exiting into 1 atmosphere at a velocity of 325 m/s. They also mention using a formula to calculate the exhaust velocity based on factors such as mass flow, temperature, and molecular weight. The speaker suggests looking into a search for "Gas Dynamic CO2 laser" for more information on the energy in exhaust and recommends the book "Rocket Propulsion Elements" as a reference for general rocket propulsion.
Jedi_Sawyer
Does anybody know how or where I can find a way to figure the Exhaust Temperature of a Rocket. I am considering a problem where I assigned 1.4 atmospheres to the Inlet gas pressure at 300 degrees C.
That it exited into 1 Atmosphere at exit velocity of 325 M per second.

Science news on Phys.org
How familiar are you with compressible flows, and how did you determine the exhaust velocity?

I'm not terribly familiar with compressible fluids but I do have college physics trining.
I'm writing something not for school and I wanted subsonic rocket exhaust, and I need to know the velocity of the exhaust and it's temperature I got the formula for some idealized rocket exhaust, Ve, as a function of a lot of things such as mass flow, Temperature, molecular weight, Inlet Pressure, and Isentropic Expansion. I looked up everything for dry air, 29KG/kmol. Starting with Inlet Pressure at 1.4 Atmospheres and and outlet pressure at 1 Atm. with the inlet gas at 596 degress K, I computed 325 m/s for the exhaust speed. The Wiki article for the de Laval nozzel has an example that uses dry air and it specifies the exhaust temp but I have no idea how they computed it. It doesn't seem to be a simple adiabatic expansion thing. So that is my story.

One place you might look is do a search on "Gas Dynamic CO2 laser" If you can fine a good technical description, it will have a lot of info related to the energy in exhaust.

Related to How Can I Calculate Rocket Exhaust Temperature?

What is rocket exhaust temperature?

Rocket exhaust temperature refers to the temperature of the gases that are expelled from a rocket's engine during launch. This temperature can reach extremely high levels, often exceeding 3,000 degrees Celsius.

How is rocket exhaust temperature measured?

Rocket exhaust temperature is typically measured using thermocouples, which are temperature sensors that can withstand high temperatures. These sensors are placed near the nozzle of the rocket's engine to directly measure the temperature of the exhaust gases.

Why is rocket exhaust temperature important?

The temperature of the rocket exhaust is important for several reasons. It can impact the efficiency and performance of the rocket's engine, as well as the material and design choices for the engine. It also plays a role in determining the maximum thrust that can be generated by the rocket.

What factors affect rocket exhaust temperature?

The temperature of the rocket exhaust is affected by several factors, including the type of propellant used, the design of the engine, and the combustion process. The ambient temperature and atmospheric conditions can also impact the exhaust temperature.

Can rocket exhaust temperature be controlled?

Yes, rocket exhaust temperature can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the fuel-to-oxidizer ratio or using different types of propellants. The design and shape of the engine nozzle can also play a role in controlling the exhaust temperature. However, in most cases, the temperature of the exhaust gases is a byproduct of the chemical reactions happening within the engine.