How Can I Calculate Probabilities for Event Success Rates?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate probabilities using a binomial model. The equation for this model is given, along with the explanation of the binomial coefficient and factorial. The conversation also clarifies the meaning of "n choose k".
alexbib
I have near to no knowledge of statistics, and I want to build a statistical model that can help me calculate %chance of an event happening in situations of type:

every try has 25% success rate
after 6 tries, what are the probabilities of having succeeded at least 5times? After 12tries?

or

each shot has 42% success rate
after 5 tries, how what are the probabilities of succeding at least 4times?

How can I calculate probabilities like these?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you want a binomial model. Given probability of success p and n attempts, the probability of exactly k successes is:

[tex]\binom{n}{k}p^k(1-p)^{n-k}[/tex]

Of course, to figure out the probability of at least k successes, you have to add up these probabilities for every value greater than or equal to k.

what does the n above k in brackets mean?

[tex]\binom{n}{k}[/tex] is the "binomial coefficient". It is the coefficient of xkyn-k in (x+y)n as well as the kth term in the nth line in Pascal's triangle and can be calculated as [tex]\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex].

It is sometimes written nCk and our British colleagues seem to refer to it as "n choose k" since it is also the number of different ways one can choose k items from a set of n items.

And just in case you do not know what [itex]x![/itex] means: it means [itex]x[/itex] factorial:

[tex]x! = 1\times 2\times 3 \times \ldots \times (x-1) \times x[/tex]

Ok, thanks for explanation!

Related to How Can I Calculate Probabilities for Event Success Rates?

1. What is the purpose of building a statistical model?

The purpose of building a statistical model is to represent a complex system or phenomenon in a simplified and quantitative manner. It allows us to understand the relationships and patterns within the data and make predictions or decisions based on the model.

2. What are the steps involved in building a statistical model?

The steps involved in building a statistical model include defining the research question or problem, collecting and preparing data, choosing an appropriate model, fitting the model to the data, evaluating the model's performance, and using the model for prediction or inference.

3. What are the key assumptions made when building a statistical model?

The key assumptions made when building a statistical model include the data being a random sample from the population, the relationship between variables being linear, the errors being normally distributed, and the errors being independent and identically distributed.

4. How do you choose the best statistical model for your data?

The choice of the best statistical model for your data depends on various factors such as the type of data, the research question, and the assumptions of the model. It is important to assess the fit and performance of different models and select the one that best captures the patterns and relationships in the data.

5. What is the difference between parametric and non-parametric models?

Parametric models make assumptions about the underlying distribution of the data and estimate the parameters of the distribution, while non-parametric models do not make any assumptions about the distribution and estimate the relationship between variables directly from the data. Non-parametric models are more flexible but may require larger sample sizes, while parametric models are more efficient but may be less accurate if the assumptions are not met.