How can I calculate my savings with varying deposits using the interest formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a savings formula to determine the amount of money accumulated after a certain period of time. The formula takes into account the initial deposit, interest rate, and number of compounding periods. The question arises of how to account for an initial large deposit followed by regular uniform deposits. A suggested solution is to use the formula for each individual deposit and add them together.
Unassuming

Homework Statement

Using the following savings formula, where d is a uniform deposit, i= (interest rate)/(# times compounded per year), n is the total times compounded.

As I understand it, this formula will tell me how much I will have after depositing a certain amount of money per compounding period given an interest rate and time.

How can I take into account the situation where I start off by depositing a large sum like $5000, and then make uniform deposit during every compounding period?

Homework Equations

I am using the savings formula,

[tex]A=d(\frac{(1+i)^n-1}{i})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Use that formula one the first amount, the same formula, with the time one month less, on the amount deposited for the second month, the formula with the time two months less for the amount deposited on the third month, etc. and then add them all.

To calculate your savings with varying deposits using the interest formula, you can follow these steps:

1. Determine the interest rate and the number of times the interest is compounded per year (i and n in the formula).
2. Decide on a uniform deposit amount (d) that you will make during each compounding period.
3. Calculate the total number of compounding periods (n) based on the length of time you will be saving for.
4. Use the formula A=d(\frac{(1+i)^n-1}{i}) to calculate the total amount you will have after the first compounding period, assuming you start with a large initial deposit (such as $5000).
5. For each subsequent compounding period, use the formula A=d(\frac{(1+i)^n-1}{i}) again, but this time, use the previous period's total amount as the new initial deposit.
6. Repeat this process for each compounding period until you have reached the end of your savings period.
7. Add up all of the amounts calculated in each compounding period to determine your total savings after the specified time frame.

Alternatively, you can use a financial calculator or an online savings calculator that takes into account varying deposits and compounding periods to make the calculation process easier. Remember to also consider any fees or taxes that may affect your savings.

Related to How can I calculate my savings with varying deposits using the interest formula?

1. How do I calculate my savings using the interest formula?

The formula for calculating savings with varying deposits and interest is: A = P(1+r/n)^(nt), where A is the total amount, P is the initial deposit, r is the interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years.

2. Can I use the interest formula to calculate my savings with different deposit amounts?

Yes, the interest formula can be used to calculate savings with varying deposit amounts. You will need to plug in the different deposit amounts into the formula for each calculation.

3. What is the importance of the interest rate in the savings calculation?

The interest rate is a crucial factor in the savings calculation as it determines the amount of interest earned on your initial deposit. A higher interest rate means more money earned on your savings.

4. How does the frequency of compounding affect my savings calculation?

The more frequently the interest is compounded, the more your savings will grow. This is because compounding allows for interest to be earned on both the initial deposit and any accumulated interest.

5. Can I use the interest formula to calculate my savings over a period of time with regular deposits?

Yes, the interest formula can be used to calculate savings over a period of time with regular deposits. You will need to add the regular deposit amount to the initial deposit (P), and the number of years (t) will represent the total length of time you are making deposits.