How can I calculate gas pressure in a cylinder using mathematical formulas?

In summary, the ideal gas equation PV=nRT can be used to calculate the pressure of a gas in an abstract cylinder with a moving piston, but additional information about heat transfer and thermodynamics would be needed for a more accurate result. The change in volume can be calculated using the formula Pi*r^2*s, where r is the radius of the piston and s is the distance it moves. Using derivatives, the pressure can also be expressed as a function of volume.
Crazymechanic
Hi could you please help me out with a formula?
So imagine this abstract cylinder and a piston moving in it , I have let's say an x amount of gas in it and all the other parameters like stroke diameter and so on , by what formula could I calculate the pressure that the gas will have when the piston will reach it's maximum upper point?

Physics news on Phys.org
PV=nRT is the ideal gas equation.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something related to an "abstract cylinder"...

Re-arranging for pressure give p = nRT/V

p = pressure
n = number of moles of gas
R = 8.31
T = temperature in Kelvin
V = Volume of containerI hope that helps

The ideal gas equation (and note the word 'ideal'; in practice, things can be a bit different) won't be enough to give you an answer. You will need to supply information regarding heat transfer. If you make the simplifying assumption that things happen too quickly for any significant heat flow than you can also use the adiabatic expansion/compression equation. (q.v.)

note that the change in volume will be Pi*r^2*s, where r is the radius of the piston, s is the distance it moves.
you are going to need to assume the volume and temperature have some kind of relation from thermo laws to deal with T in the equation.

you could prolly use P=f(V) and use derivitaves to get the change.

Thank you for giving me insight:)

Related to How can I calculate gas pressure in a cylinder using mathematical formulas?

1. What is the purpose of using mathematical formulas?

Mathematical formulas are used to represent relationships between variables and to solve complex problems in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and more.

2. How do you read and interpret a mathematical formula?

To read and interpret a mathematical formula, you must understand the meaning of each symbol and how they are connected. The order of operations is also crucial in interpreting a formula.

3. Can a mathematical formula be simplified?

Yes, in some cases, mathematical formulas can be simplified by using mathematical properties and rules. This can make the formula easier to understand and work with.

4. How do you know which mathematical formula to use for a specific problem?

Choosing the right mathematical formula depends on the problem at hand. You must understand the problem and identify the variables involved to determine which formula is most suitable for solving it.

5. Can mathematical formulas be used to make predictions?

Yes, mathematical formulas can be used to make predictions based on data and patterns. This is commonly used in fields such as statistics, finance, and weather forecasting.