How can I calculate forces on a vehicle frame?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of estimating the forces that a SAE Baja vehicle will be subjected to. It is mentioned that the vehicle will have a top speed of 30mph and weigh 500lbs. To calculate the force of impact, the impulse or time of impact is needed. There is uncertainty on where to start with this calculation, but it is suggested to model the impact as a spring contact and to include the spring constant in the calculation. The absorption of kinetic energy by the springs is also mentioned as a factor to consider.
I am working on an SAE Baja vehicle for a competition as part of my coursework requirements. Right now I am trying to come up with a method to estimate the forces that the frame will be subjected to. I need help doing this. I know that the top speed will be 30mph and that the vehicle will weigh 500lbs. To calculate the force of an impact I would also need to know the impulse or time of impact. I'm kind of stumped on where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Impulse time depends on the type of collisions and where it strikes - you presumably have bumpers and shock absorbers at strategic places?

A back-of-envelope approach would model the impact as a spring contact ... if you have actual springs then this should be easy otherwise you have to work something for the rigid frame bending/flexing. If the idea is to figure out what sort of shock-absorbers to include then you can just put in the spring constant (or however the absorbers get rated) as a variable in the calculation.

The kinetic energy of the impact has to be absorbed by the springs.

Related to How can I calculate forces on a vehicle frame?

1. What is the formula for calculating forces on a vehicle frame?

The formula for calculating forces on a vehicle frame is Force = Mass x Acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

2. How do I determine the mass of a vehicle frame?

The mass of a vehicle frame can be determined by weighing the entire vehicle or by adding up the masses of individual components that make up the frame, such as the engine, wheels, and chassis. It is important to include the mass of any payload or passengers that will be carried by the vehicle.

3. What factors affect the forces on a vehicle frame?

The forces acting on a vehicle frame are affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the vehicle's components, the speed and direction of motion, and external forces such as gravity and air resistance. The type and condition of the road surface can also affect the forces on a vehicle frame.

4. How can I calculate the acceleration of a vehicle?

The acceleration of a vehicle can be calculated by measuring its change in velocity over a certain period of time. This can be done using a speedometer and a timer, or by using a device such as an accelerometer that measures acceleration directly. The mass of the vehicle must also be known in order to calculate the acceleration.

5. What safety factors should be considered when calculating forces on a vehicle frame?

When calculating forces on a vehicle frame, it is important to consider safety factors such as the maximum load that the frame can handle, the maximum speed at which the vehicle can safely operate, and any potential hazards or obstacles that may affect the vehicle's motion. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the vehicle to ensure that it is in safe working condition.