How can I calculate air resistance without knowing the reference area?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to calculate air resistance (R) without knowing the reference area (A). The equations and formulas for calculating air resistance are mentioned, as well as the need to measure weight (W) and drag (D). The suggestion to plot velocity (V) or velocity squared (V2) against weight (W) is given. The importance of keeping the filters consistent in shape is also mentioned.
jff0404
1. After dropping coffee filters, I have to derive or describe the relationships between air Resistance(R) and v or v^2, whichever is right, and draw a graph. I can find derivations on internet as long as I site.
I have time, v, height and acceleration, but no reference area. All the equations I've seen need the ra, is there any way I can find R without it?

2. v=m/s
a= v/s = m/s^2
Net F = R-w
w=mg
D = Cd * r * V^2 * A/2

3. When the object reaches terminal v, a=0. So I put 0 for a= (W - D)/m that I also got from the internet, but I got something useless with m/s units(supposed to be in N because R is a force). I don't know what I'm supposed to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rearrange..

0 = (W - D)/m

to give..

W = D

You can measure W.

Plot V or V2 against W (=D) and see what you get.

PS Try to ensure the filters stay the same shape as they fall, eg don't add too much weight.

Related to How can I calculate air resistance without knowing the reference area?

1. How is air resistance calculated?

Air resistance is calculated using the formula F = 0.5 * p * v2 * A * Cd, where F is the force of air resistance, p is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, A is the cross-sectional area, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

2. What factors affect air resistance?

The factors that affect air resistance include the velocity of the object, the density of the air, the cross-sectional area of the object, and the shape and surface characteristics of the object.

3. How does air resistance impact the motion of an object?

Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. As an object moves faster, the force of air resistance increases, and it becomes more difficult for the object to maintain its speed.

4. How does altitude affect air resistance?

The higher the altitude, the lower the density of the air, which means less air resistance for an object. This is why some sports, such as long jump and ski jumping, are often performed at high altitudes to reduce air resistance and increase distance.

5. Can air resistance ever be completely eliminated?

No, air resistance cannot be completely eliminated. Even objects with very streamlined shapes still experience some air resistance. However, it can be reduced by choosing materials and shapes that minimize drag and by keeping the velocity of the object as low as possible.