How Can I Build a Christmas Light Controller That Syncs with Music?

In summary, the speaker is looking to build a light controller that syncs with music, but wants to simplify the process and complete it within a month. They are considering using a basic stamp or a PLC, and mention using a sample of the song and an ADC to control different sections of lights. They also provide a link to a tutorial for building a Christmas light controller.
famousken
I was just thinking with christmas right around the corner I wanted to do something a little different than the usual lights on the eves. I would like to build a light controller that cues different sections of my lights to music, kind of like this but Ill probably tone it back a little bit, probably around 8 channels I am thinking <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TD4g0gmQSLk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TD4g0gmQSLk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
One idea I had was to use a basic stamp to control the light driver, but that means that I would have to spend days programming it to get the timing just right. Another idea I had was to make a mono copy of what ever song it was and then use the other channel to record the program for the light control using a serial signal that can be decoded in real-time (decade counter?) then I could just set my media player to loop and it would repeat itself. I want something as simple as possible and easy to set up as I only have around a month do complete it. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
you'd need some sort of PLC to do this.. what if you take the sample of the song, pass it through an ADC, and based on the bits that the ADC spits out, control a section of the lights? here's something that i found on google, that should be able to get you started...

http://zedomax.com/blog/zedomax-diy119-make-christmas-light-controller-in-5-minutes/"

Last edited by a moderator:

I appreciate your creativity and desire to do something unique with your Christmas lights. Building a light controller that cues different sections of lights to music is certainly a fun and challenging project.

One option you mentioned is using a basic stamp to control the light driver, which would require programming and potentially a lot of time to get the timing just right. Another option is using a mono copy of the song and recording the program for the light control using a serial signal. While this may be a simpler approach, it may also require some time and effort to set up.

One idea I have is to consider using an Arduino microcontroller. Arduino is a popular open-source platform for building electronic projects and has a large online community for support and resources. There are also many tutorials and guides available for using Arduino to create light and music controllers, which could be helpful in completing your project in a timely manner.

Another consideration is using pre-made light and music controller kits that are specifically designed for this type of project. These kits often come with easy-to-follow instructions and may save you time and effort in programming and setting up the controller.

Overall, I think your project is a fun and creative idea. My recommendation would be to research and explore different options, such as using Arduino or pre-made kits, to find the best fit for your skills and timeline. Good luck with your project and happy holidays!

Related to How Can I Build a Christmas Light Controller That Syncs with Music?

What is a Christmas light controller?

A Christmas light controller is a device that allows you to control the lighting display of your Christmas lights. It typically includes features such as changing the lighting patterns, adjusting the speed, and syncing the lights to music.

How does a Christmas light controller work?

A Christmas light controller works by connecting to your Christmas lights and using software or remote control to change the lighting patterns and settings. It can also be programmed to turn the lights on and off at specific times.

What are the benefits of using a Christmas light controller?

Using a Christmas light controller allows for more creative and customizable lighting displays. It also makes it easier to control and manage the lights, and can save energy by setting timers for when the lights should be on.

Can I use any type of Christmas lights with a controller?

Most Christmas light controllers are compatible with standard incandescent, LED, or RGB lights. However, it is important to check the specifications of the controller to ensure compatibility.

Do I need any technical knowledge to use a Christmas light controller?

While some controllers may require more technical knowledge to set up and program, many controllers are designed to be user-friendly and easy to use for anyone. It is important to carefully read the instructions and follow the steps provided by the manufacturer.