How can I build a blast wall using polycarbonate and tempered glass?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, blast walls, also known as blast shields or blast barriers, are typically made of a strong and durable material such as LEXAN, a type of polycarbonate created by GE. This material is often used for its ability to withstand high impact and explosion forces. However, it is important to note that although it may provide some protection, it is not considered "bulletproof" and may require multiple layers to effectively stop bullets. When using blast walls, it is crucial to also plan for minimizing the effects of overpressure and debris, and to not substitute cheaper materials like acrylic which may not provide the same level of protection. It is recommended to consult with a plastics shop and be prepared for the high cost of the necessary thickness of
Mk
What are blast walls made of? Something like plexiglass or something? How would I go about doing this? Something like on Mythbusters, I want to be able to see through it, while having some protection.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I didn't see the Mythbusters show. Is the wall for noise attenuation or is it for possible impact/explosion protection?

The wall is a blast shield to protect the crew from an actual explosion. They use a wall composed of LEXAN created by GE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

Did you also see the episode of Mythbusters where they decided to find out how much polycarbonate (Lexan) it takes to actually stop a bullet? They stopped using anything related to the term "bulletproof" pretty quickly because it took a lot more material then they expected. If you watch a show on armored cars designed to be bullet resistant, there is a science to using tempered glass and polycarbonate in a dozen layers to stop bullets, mixing the qualities of the two materials to achieve the desired result.

The biggest thing with any kind of potential explosion is going to be to plan out your position to minimize the effects of the overpressure and the flying debris. The plastic is then just a secondary defense that deflects small things away from you.

DO NOT substitute acrylic because of its low cost, its not going to flex anywhere near as much and will shatter instead of deform when hit hard enough.

You will need to find a plastics shop near you, and be prepared to be shocked at the price for a sufficient thickness of the material. Your best value would be a steel blast sheild with a small polycarbonate window in a steel reinforced frame with screws around the perimeter of the clear sheet so the poly doesn't just flex and pop through.

Related to How can I build a blast wall using polycarbonate and tempered glass?

1. What materials should I use to build a blast wall?

The materials you use for a blast wall will depend on the level of protection you need. Generally, concrete, steel, or a combination of both are commonly used for building blast walls. It is important to consult with experts and consider factors such as blast load, building location, and budget when choosing materials.

2. How thick should a blast wall be?

The thickness of a blast wall will also depend on the level of protection needed. The thicker the wall, the more it can withstand a blast. A common guideline is to use a thickness of at least 6 inches for concrete walls and 1/4 inch for steel walls. However, consulting with experts and considering specific blast load requirements is crucial in determining the appropriate thickness.

3. Do I need to consider the foundation of a blast wall?

Yes, the foundation of a blast wall is an important aspect to consider. The foundation must be strong and well-anchored to the ground in order to provide proper support for the wall. The type and depth of foundation will depend on the soil condition and the design of the wall. It is best to consult with a structural engineer for proper foundation design.

4. Can I build a blast wall on my own?

Building a blast wall is a complex process that requires proper planning, design, and construction. It is not recommended for an individual to build a blast wall on their own, as it involves specialized knowledge and expertise. It is important to consult with professionals and follow appropriate safety measures when building a blast wall.

5. How effective is a blast wall in protecting against explosions?

A properly designed and constructed blast wall can significantly reduce the impact of an explosion and protect structures and people behind it. However, it is important to note that no blast wall can provide 100% protection. The effectiveness of a blast wall will depend on various factors such as the type and intensity of the explosion, the design and construction of the wall, and the proximity of the wall to the explosion source.