How Can I Boost the Base Current in a BJT-Driven DC Motor Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to increase the current in a drive circuit for a 12V DC motor. The suggested solutions include using a base drive circuit, replacing the BJT with a suitable n channel logic level MOSFET, and using a 555 in between the 74121 and the 2N3055 BJT. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the current gain of the BJT and the use of a schmitt trigger buffer for increased drive capability.
medosoft
How to increase the current?!

I'm designing a drive circuit for a 12V DC motor
I'm using a (2N3055 BJT) as a switch to control the output, and I'm using a (74121 monostable oneshot) to control the BJT switch.
So, the output of the 74121 is fed into the base of the BJT.

Here is the schematics for my circuit
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7411/etpcircuit.jpg

According to the datasheet of the BJT, β=100. Which means that the current supplied to the base should be at least 1/100 of the current that is supposed to run through the collector. The motor needs about (2-3) Amps to run at a proper speed, meaning that the base current should be at least (20 - 30 mA).
The problem is that the output current of the 74121 ranges from (4 - 16 mA).

Is there anyway to increase the current?
I can sacrifice some of the voltage

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

You could add a base drive circuit like in the attachment.

Or you could just replace the 2n3055A with a suitable n channel logic level mosfet and you wouldn't need any auxiliary drive components.

Attachments

• etpcircuit1.jpg
    etpcircuit1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

indeed the good ol' 3055 is not the greatest for current gain. hfe may drop to more like 10 in the Ic=amperes range.

TTL sinks better than it sources so your design is needing a tweak or two

uart's MOSFET is one solution, so is his darlington

a 555 in between the '121 and the '3055 is another, but the 555 inverts so use the '121's Qnot output.
Tie TRIG and THRESH together and 555 becomes a schmitt trigger buffer with substantial drive capability. That's a handy trick .

glad you're experimenting , it's the best teacher.

old jim

Last edited:
for more current, perhaps by using a different transistor with a higher β value, or by using a Darlington pair configuration. Another option could be to use a transistor with a lower voltage drop, such as a MOSFET, which would allow for more current to flow through the circuit. Additionally, adjusting the resistor values in the circuit could also help increase the current. It may also be worth considering using a different type of driver circuit altogether, such as a H-bridge or a motor driver chip, which are specifically designed for controlling motors and can handle higher currents. Ultimately, the best approach would depend on the specific requirements and limitations of the project.

Related to How Can I Boost the Base Current in a BJT-Driven DC Motor Circuit?

What is current and why is it important?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is important because it is the basis of electricity and is necessary for many devices and systems to function.

How can I increase the current in a circuit?

There are several ways to increase the current in a circuit. One way is to decrease the resistance in the circuit by using thicker wires or removing resistors. Another way is to increase the voltage, which in turn increases the current according to Ohm's Law. Finally, adding more power sources in parallel can also increase the current.

Can I increase the current without increasing the voltage?

Yes, it is possible to increase the current without increasing the voltage by decreasing the resistance in the circuit. This can be achieved by using thicker wires or removing resistors.

What are the risks of increasing the current in a circuit?

Increasing the current in a circuit can lead to overheating, which can damage components and potentially cause fires. It can also cause electric shocks and damage to electronic devices. It is important to always use caution and follow safety guidelines when working with high currents.

Is there a maximum limit to how much current can be increased?

Yes, there is a maximum limit to how much current can be increased in a circuit. This limit is determined by the capacity of the power source and the resistance in the circuit. Exceeding this limit can result in damage to the circuit and potential safety hazards.