How Can I Apply Newton's Second Law with Friction in Real-Life Problems?

Newton's Second Law.In summary, the conversation revolves around seeking help in understanding Newton's Second Law, particularly in relation to adding friction. The individual also has a problem involving calculating the horizontal frictional force and normal force on a lawnmower being pushed with a force at an angle. They suggest seeking help in specific forums for physics.
gotmilk954
ok, i need some serious help with Newtons second law. like i kind of understand it, but adding things like friction are giving me real problems. does anyone have any good resources or tips on how to understand/comprehend this?

and i have a prolem:

a man pushes a 15 kg lawnmower at constant speed with a force of 90 N directed along the handle, which is at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. calucalte: (a) the horizontal frictional force on the mower, and (b) the normal force
on the mower.

well i know the acceleration is zero, but don't you need the kinetic friction to find the frictional force?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

First of all, don't worry, understanding Newton's Second Law can be challenging for many people. It is important to break down the problem into smaller parts and focus on one aspect at a time. Let me provide some resources and tips that may help you understand this concept better.

1. Watch online videos: There are many educational videos available online that explain Newton's Second Law in a simple and visual way. These videos can help you understand the concept and also provide examples to help you apply it to real-life situations.

2. Practice problems: The more you practice, the better you will understand the concept. Look for practice problems online or in your textbook and try to solve them on your own. If you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask for help from your teacher or classmates.

3. Understand the formula: Newton's Second Law can be written as F=ma, where F is the net force acting on an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object. Remember, acceleration is the change in velocity over time.

Now, let's move on to your specific problem. To calculate the frictional force, you need to use the formula Ff=μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. The normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object and is always perpendicular to the surface. In this case, the normal force will be equal to the weight of the lawnmower, which is 15 kg times the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). To find the kinetic friction, you also need to know the coefficient of friction, which can vary depending on the surface and the objects in contact. You can look up the coefficient of friction for a lawnmower on a grass surface and use that in your calculation.

I hope this helps you understand Newton's Second Law better and solve your problem. Remember, practice and breaking down the problem into smaller parts are key to understanding any scientific concept. Good luck!

Related to How Can I Apply Newton's Second Law with Friction in Real-Life Problems?

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the more massive an object is, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

2. How is Newton's Second Law used in everyday life?

Newton's Second Law is used in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. It helps us understand how much force is needed to move different objects and how their mass affects their movement.

3. What is the formula for Newton's Second Law?

The formula for Newton's Second Law is F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

4. How does Newton's Second Law relate to the other laws of motion?

Newton's Second Law is closely related to the other two laws of motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law explains how an object's motion changes when a force is applied to it. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. Can Newton's Second Law be applied to objects in outer space?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to objects in outer space. Even though there is no air resistance in space, the law still holds true because the force acting on an object is not dependent on the presence of air resistance.