How Can I Add Support for Multiple Client Connections to my TCP Server?

• Thread starter James889
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the speaker is trying to add support for multiple client connections on their simple TCP server using pthreads. They mention their idea of calling accept in a separate thread and ask if this is similar to what the listener would do. The listener responds by explaining the blocking nature of accept and suggesting a simpler solution. They also mention the option of using non-blocking operations or a mix of both approaches.
James889
Hi,

I have a simple tcp server, to which i would like to add support for multiple client connections via pthreads. This is what i had in mind, calling accept in a separate thread.

I this similar to what you would do?

Code:
int sock = socket(PF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0);
int sock_fd[10];
struct sockaddr_in client_addr[10];
int size = sizeof(&client_addr);

void *Thread1(void *arg){

for(i=0;i<9;i++){
  sock_fd[i] = accept(sock,(struct sockaddr *)&client_addr[i],size);

}

Technology news on Phys.org
No.

Normally accept is blocking until new incoming connection.
So, simplest way would be like this:

Code:
void* ConnectionThread(void* pv)
{
    int fd=(int)pv;
    //...
    close(fd);
    return 0;
}

void main_loop(unsigned short port)
{
    struct sockaddr_in loacal_addr;
    local_addr.sin_family=AF_INET;
    local_addr.sin_port=((port>>8)|(port<<8));
    local_addr.sin_addr.s_addr=INADDR_ANY;

int lfd=socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0);
    if(0!=bind(lfd,(struct sockaddr*)&local_addr,sizeof(local_addr)){
        perror("bind");
    };
    listen(lfd,5);
    while(true){
        struct sockaddr_in remote_addr;
        socklen_t slen=sizeof(remote_addr);
        int afd=accept(lfd,(struct sockaddr*)&remote_addr,&slen);
        if(afd==-1){
            perror("accept");
        }else{
            if(0!=pthread_create(0,0,ConnectionThread,(void*)afd)){
                close(afd);
            };
        };
    };
}
Also there is an option of using asynchronous non-blocking operations instead of/ or in mix with multithreading

Related to How Can I Add Support for Multiple Client Connections to my TCP Server?

1. What is a multiple client connection?

A multiple client connection is a network communication setup where a server can handle requests from multiple clients simultaneously. This allows for more efficient use of resources and faster response times for the clients.

2. Why is having multiple client connections important?

Having multiple client connections is important because it allows for better scalability and performance of network systems. It also enables the server to handle a larger number of clients without being overwhelmed.

3. How does a server handle multiple client connections?

A server can handle multiple client connections through the use of various techniques such as multithreading, multiprocessing, or asynchronous I/O. These methods allow the server to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, including responding to requests from different clients.

4. What are some potential issues with multiple client connections?

Some potential issues with multiple client connections include resource limitations, such as limited bandwidth or processing power, which can affect the performance of the server. Additionally, managing and troubleshooting multiple connections can be complex and require careful planning and monitoring.

5. How can I optimize multiple client connections for my network?

To optimize multiple client connections for your network, you can implement techniques such as load balancing, which distributes client requests across multiple servers to improve performance. You can also use caching to store frequently requested data, reducing the load on the server. Regular monitoring and maintenance of the network can also help identify and resolve any issues that may arise.