How Can I Achieve Precise Rapid Rotation in My Mechanical Project?

In summary, the aim of the project is to rotate an inner tube within another tube one full 360 degree turn in 0.05 seconds, with the option for the user to press a button 15 times per second for multiple rotations. Research has been done on using stepper motors, but alternatives are also welcome. The desired precision for the motion is +/- 0.5mm and the load is approximately 30g. The final product will be used for 15-20 minute intervals over a 4 hour period or longer.
longshot
Hi all

Im very new to all of this and require help and guidance with my project.

The aim of my project is to rotate an inner tube (35mm long 20mm diameter) within another tube (21mm diameter - 80mm length) one full 360' turn and then stop in 0.05 seconds, ready for the next command. If the user can press the button 15 times a second it will turn 15 times (0.05 per turn).

Ive been reseaching stepper motors but not sure if they are the right "tool" to use.

Can you please suggest a method how I could preform this motion.

I have created a model of what I need and have used a cordless drill as the "engine" to turn the parts and the method works. Now I just need to scale the "engine" into the body of the object.

thanks in advance.

appologise if this is in the wrong forum.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How precise must the motion be with respect to rotation and time?
What is the load? (How much weight is spinning around?)
Will it be in continuous use, or is it just for a demonstration?

There are a number of off-the-shelf stepper/servo drivers in a wide price range. Depending on how much you want to learn, you can find quite a few plans on instructables.com, hackaday.com, and other DIY sites.

hi pantaz

thx for the quick reply and sites.

How precise must the motion be with respect to rotation and time?

The time must be able to do about 20 rotations per second if required. With regards to the rotation, it must be able to start in "A" position and finish in "A" +/- 0.5mm

What is the load? (How much weight is spinning around?)

the weight is +/- 30g

Will it be in continuous use, or is it just for a demonstration?

the final product will be used for 15 - 20 minute intervals over 4 hour period or longer.

Related to How Can I Achieve Precise Rapid Rotation in My Mechanical Project?

What is motion control?

Motion control is the process of using technology, such as motors and sensors, to regulate and manipulate the movement of a mechanical system.

Why is motion control important?

Motion control is important because it allows for precise and accurate movement in various industries, including manufacturing, robotics, and aerospace. It also increases efficiency and productivity by automating repetitive tasks.

What are the components of a motion control system?

A motion control system typically consists of a controller, which receives commands and processes data, motors or actuators, which generate movement, and sensors, which provide feedback to the controller.

What are some applications of motion control?

Motion control is used in a wide range of applications, including CNC machines, 3D printing, packaging and labeling machines, industrial robots, and medical equipment.

How can I learn more about motion control?

There are various resources available for learning about motion control, such as online courses, textbooks, and industry conferences. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or projects. Consulting with experts in the field can also provide valuable insights.