How Can Fourier Series be Used to Expand a Continuous Function of Period 2L?

In summary, the continuous function f(x) can be expanded as a Fourier series with a0=2+∑(from n=1 to∞) (ancos(n pi x/L)+bnsin(n pi x/L)) and bn=1/L∫(from -L to+L) sin(n pi x/L)f(x) dx. To get the final result, you need to eliminate the a0 and sum the bn.
blueyellow
please help on this question
Any continuous function of period 2L can be expanded as a Fourier series

f(x)=a0/2+∑(from n=1 to∞) (ancos(n pi x/L)+bnsin(n pi x/L))

Using ∫(from -L to +L) sin(m pi x/L)sin(n pi x/L)dx=L kronecker delta m n

Show that
Bn=1/L∫(from -L to+L) sin(n pi x/L)f(x) dx

i am seriously stuck on this - kinda can't stand proof questions
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
you must multiply f(x) by (1/L)sin(m pi x/L) and then integrate from -L to L in order to obtein:
[tex]
\frac{1}{L}\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})f(x)dx=\frac{a_{0}}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})dx+\sum a_{n} \frac{1}{L}\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})dx+\sum b_{n} \frac{1}{L}\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})dx
[/tex]

then just apply the previous property that you mentioned and the fact that sin and cos are ortogonal function:

[tex]
\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})dx=0
[/tex]

but how do i get rid of th a0 and summation signs?
i tried what accatagliato said but 1)i couldn't get rid of the a0, and 2) i ended up with sin (n pi x/L) on a denominator

[tex]
\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})dx=0
[/tex]
because the sin function is an odd function and the interval of integration is symmetric. In fact:

[tex]
\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})dx=\int_{-L}^{0}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})dx+\int_{0}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})dx
[/tex]
changing x --> -x in the second integral

[tex]
\int_{-L}^{0}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})dx+\int_{0}^{-L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})dx=0
[/tex]

For the summation:

[tex]
\sum_{n} b_{n}\delta_{nm}=b_{m}
[/tex]

thanks
im so sorry but what am i supposed to now do with b m (b subscript m)?
if i substitute the last equation in, the b n disappears, so then i can't actually do what they ask me to do in the question cos in the question they ask me to show that b n equals something

after substitution you obteined:

[tex]
b_{m}=\frac{1}{L}\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})f(x)d
[/tex]

nothing changes if there is n or m in the final result, you can call the index however you want, so this result transforms into:

[tex]
b_{n}=\frac{1}{L}\int_{-L}^{L}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})f(x)d
[/tex]

Related to How Can Fourier Series be Used to Expand a Continuous Function of Period 2L?

1. What is the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and other fields.

2. How is a function expanded as a Fourier series?

To expand a function as a Fourier series, the function is decomposed into a combination of sine and cosine functions at different frequencies. The coefficients of these functions are determined using integration and the resulting series is called the Fourier series of the original function.

3. What is the significance of using a Fourier series?

The Fourier series enables us to represent complex functions as simpler, periodic functions. This can be useful in analyzing and understanding the behavior of signals and images. It also allows us to manipulate and process these functions more easily.

4. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used to represent a periodic function, while a Fourier transform is used to represent a non-periodic function. In a Fourier series, the function is decomposed into a sum of sinusoidal functions with fixed frequencies, while in a Fourier transform, the function is decomposed into a continuous spectrum of frequencies.

5. Can any function be expanded as a Fourier series?

No, not all functions can be expanded as a Fourier series. The function must be periodic and satisfy certain conditions, such as being piecewise continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities, in order to have a valid Fourier series representation.