How Can Finite Group Theory Problems Be Solved?

In summary, if S is a set with a binary operation that is associative, has an identity, and satisfies the cancellation laws, then (S,*) is a group.
hgj
Group Theory, please help!

Okay, so I'm stuck on a couple questions from my homework, and any guidance would be much appreciated.

1. Prove that if G is a finite group with an even number of elements,
then there is an element x in G such that x is not the identity and
x^2 = e.

I know there exists some element x in G because G is not empty. And because e (the identity element in G) is unique, x is not equal to e, so x is not the identity. But I can't see how to go from x doesn't equal e to x^2 = e.

2. Prove that if (S,*) is a finite set with a binary operation that is
associative, has an identity, and satisfies the cancellation laws,
then (S,*) is a group.

I know that for (S, *) to be a group, it must be associative, there must exist an identity element e in S wrt *, and every element in S must be invertible. The first two properties follow easily from the way (S,*) is defined, but I don't know how to show the last property holds. It makes sense to me that it's true when I look at the cancellation law (if a,b,c are in S and ab = ac, the b = c), and I've tried working backwards, but then I find myself wanting to create an inverse in S, and that seems wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When x² = e, then x = x-1. However, if x² is not equal to e, then x and x-1 are distinct. If the order of G is even, then think about what happens if x and x-1 form distinct pairs for each non-identity x.

2. Prove that if (S,*) is a finite set with a binary operation that is
associative, has an identity, and satisfies the cancellation laws,
then (S,*) is a group.

Suppose the elements of S are [tex]x_1, \ldots, x_n[/tex]. Let [tex]x_k[/tex] be some arbitrary element. What happens when you consider the elements

[tex]x_1 x_k, x_2 x_k, \cdots, x_n x_k[/tex]?

Can two of them be equal to each other, for example?

Muzza said:
Suppose the elements of S are [tex]x_1, \ldots, x_n[/tex]. Let [tex]x_k[/tex] be some arbitrary element. What happens when you consider the elements

[tex]x_1 x_k, x_2 x_k, \cdots, x_n x_k[/tex]?

Can two of them be equal to each other, for example?

I see if i let [tex]x_1x_k = x_2x_k = \cdots = x_nx_k[/tex] then, through the cancellation law, I get [tex]x_1 = x_2 = \cdots = x_n[/tex]. Then, because it is given that S has an identity element, if these are all the elements of S and they are all equal, then they must all equal that identity element. So, each element in S has an inverse. But how can I claim [tex]x_1x_k = x_2x_k = \cdots = x_nx_k[/tex] ?

You don't need all of them to be equal. But can any pair be equal? If any pair at all is equal, then there is an i and a j distinct from each other such that [itex]x_ix_k = x_jx_k[/itex] and by the right cancellation law, [itex]x_i = x_j[/itex]. But this contradicts the stipulation that [itex]x_i[/itex] and [itex]x_j[/itex] are distinct if i and j are distinct. So it cannot the the case that [itex]x_ix_k = x_jx_k[/itex] for any i and j. If S has n distinct elements, and [itex]x_1 x_k, x_2 x_k, \cdots, x_n x_k[/itex] are n distinct elements of S, then clearly [itex]S = \{x_1 x_k, x_2 x_k, \cdots, x_n x_k\}[/itex]. Since identity is an element of S, there is some, let's call it m, such that [itex]x_mx_k = e[/itex]. This should be more than enough, you can tie up the loose ends to complete the proof.

Related to How Can Finite Group Theory Problems Be Solved?

1. What is Finite Group Theory?

Finite Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of finite groups, which are mathematical structures consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines two elements to produce a third element.

2. Why is it important to prove Finite Group Theory?

Proving theorems in Finite Group Theory is essential for developing a deeper understanding of group theory and its applications in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

3. What are some common techniques used in proving Finite Group Theory?

Some common techniques used in proving Finite Group Theory include group actions, character theory, and Sylow theory. These techniques involve studying the properties and behavior of groups and their elements.

4. How long does it take to prove a theorem in Finite Group Theory?

The time it takes to prove a theorem in Finite Group Theory can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the theorem and the techniques used. Some theorems may only take a few hours to prove, while others may take years of research and collaboration among mathematicians.

5. Are there any open problems in Finite Group Theory?

Yes, there are currently many open problems in Finite Group Theory that are yet to be solved. For example, the classification of finite simple groups is a major open problem that has been partially solved, but is still ongoing.