How can energy be lost to friction?

In summary, the conversation is about how energy can be lost to friction and how to calculate it. It is mentioned that energy lost to friction turns into heat energy and examples are given of how friction can be felt through the heat produced.
Miguell
hi everyone! I'm new here. I was wondering how energy can be lost to friction? How would one even calculate that? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Miguell said:
hi everyone! I'm new here. I was wondering how energy can be lost to friction? How would one even calculate that? Thanks!
If a car skids to a stop, what form of energy exists beforehand? Is energy in that form lost during the skid?

Miguell said:
Can you explain what is puzzling you? If you slide a box along the ground, any kinetic energy is rapidly lost. That seems an obvious example.

Miguell said:
How would one even calculate that?
It's the difference in work done by the 3rd law pair of friction forces.

:welcome:

I'm sure you have experienced it yourself. Energy lost to friction turns into heat energy. Have you not felt the brakes on vehicles get warm? Or felt you palm get warm when you rub it on a rough surface?

Likes Chestermiller

Related to How can energy be lost to friction?

1. How does friction cause energy to be lost?

Friction occurs when two surfaces rub against each other, causing resistance and slowing down the movement of an object. This resistance converts kinetic energy into heat, which is then lost to the surrounding environment.

2. Can friction ever be beneficial in terms of energy loss?

Yes, in some cases friction can be beneficial. For example, friction is necessary for vehicles to stop and for shoes to grip the ground. However, in most cases, friction causes energy to be lost and is considered undesirable.

3. Does the amount of force applied affect the amount of energy lost to friction?

Yes, the greater the force applied, the more energy will be lost to friction. This is because a greater force creates more resistance and causes more heat to be generated.

4. How does the roughness of the surfaces affect energy loss due to friction?

The rougher the surfaces, the more energy will be lost to friction. This is because rough surfaces have more contact points and create more resistance, causing more heat to be generated.

5. Can anything be done to reduce energy loss due to friction?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce energy loss due to friction. One way is to use lubricants, such as oil or grease, to reduce the amount of contact between two surfaces. Another way is to use materials with smoother surfaces to reduce the amount of friction. Additionally, reducing the speed or force applied can also help to reduce energy loss due to friction.