How Can Doppler Radar Improve Drag Coefficient Measurements in Physics Labs?

In summary, the availability of inexpensive Doppler radar has made it practical to accurately measure drag coefficients in undergrad physics labs. The technique demonstrated uses an online ballistics calculator to compute BCs from measured near and far velocities.
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/10.1119/1.5064562

The availability of inexpensive Doppler radar has made it practical to accurately measure drag coefficients in undergrad physics labs.ABSTRACT
Undergraduate lab design balances several factors: 1) simple experiments connected with learning objectives, 2) experiments sufficiently accurate for comparisons between theory and measurements without gaps when students ascribe discrepancies to confounding factors (imperfect simplifying assumptions, measurement uncertainties, and “human error”), and 3) experiments capturing student attention to ensure due diligence in execution and analysis. Drag coefficient measurements are a particular challenge, though there has been some success using accurate measurements of terminal velocities. Video shows promise in several areas of kinematics, but the number of trials in a reasonable time is limited, and analysis techniques to determine drag coefficients often include numerical integration of differential equations. Here we demonstrate a technique with potential to measure drag coefficients to near 1% accuracy using an affordable 2.4 GHz Doppler radar system and round plastic pellets from an Airsoft launcher.

Likes brainpushups and berkeman
Science news on Phys.org
I’ve read your paper with great interest. I have a similar interest in calculating BCs from Doppler Radar, but I’m have difficulties getting the calculation correct.

I know I could use online calculators, I’d rather do the math myself. Could you share what formula you used?

jr-c1 said:
I’ve read your paper with great interest. I have a similar interest in calculating BCs from Doppler Radar, but I’m have difficulties getting the calculation correct.

I know I could use online calculators, I’d rather do the math myself. Could you share what formula you used?

I use the online JBM ballistic calculator to compute BCs (ballistic coefficients) from measured near and far velocities. There is not a closed form analytic formula, because of the drag models used for how drag changes with velocity require numerical integration of a differential equation. The JBM ballistics calculator (http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmbcv-5.1.cgi ) uses a guess-check iterative method to try a variety of BCs and iterate toward the correct one when integrating the differential equation gives the measured far velocity for the supplied near velocity.

BC is an industry standard metric for air drag of bullets. It is inversely proportional to cross sectional area and drag coefficient and directly proportional to mass. It allows the aerodynamics of different bullets to be more directly compared even if they have different masses or diameters. At sea level, it is roughly the fraction of 1000 yards at which a bullet loses half of its initial kinetic energy. In other words, a bullet with a BC of 0.500 loses close to half of its initial energy at a range of 500 yards.

Of course, it is also possible to use a guess-check iterative method to compute drag coefficients from near and far velocity measurements by numerically integrating the differential equation multiple times until the far velocity matches the measurement for a given near velocity and other conditions. We've done this for a number of trial cases and verified that the much simpler formula used in the above paper is accurate as long as the velocity does not change much over the flight path. If velocity changes too much over the flight path, error is introduced in two ways: 1) The average velocity used in the denominator is further from what is really needed (because V squared appears in the formula) and 2) The drag coefficient itself is changing with velocity.

Likes jr-c1

Related to How Can Doppler Radar Improve Drag Coefficient Measurements in Physics Labs?

1. What is air drag?

Air drag is the resistance that an object experiences when moving through a fluid, such as air. It is caused by the friction between the object and the molecules in the fluid.

2. Why is it important to measure air drag accurately?

Measuring air drag accurately is crucial for understanding the aerodynamics of objects and how they behave in different environments. This information is essential for designing efficient and safe vehicles, structures, and other objects that interact with air.

3. How is air drag measured?

Air drag can be measured using various methods, such as wind tunnel testing, computational fluid dynamics simulations, and direct measurement techniques using force sensors or pressure sensors. The method used depends on the object being tested and the level of accuracy required.

4. What factors affect air drag?

The amount of air drag an object experiences depends on its shape, size, speed, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through. Other factors that can affect air drag include the surface roughness of the object, the temperature and humidity of the air, and the presence of other objects in the surrounding environment.

5. How can air drag be minimized?

Air drag can be reduced by changing the object's shape, streamlining its surface, and reducing its size. This can be achieved through careful design and engineering. Additionally, reducing the speed or changing the direction of the object's movement can also help minimize air drag.