How can diffraction occur with gap smaller than the wavelength?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of diffraction of waves and whether it can occur when the gap through which the wave passes is shorter than the wavelength itself. The website referenced states that for diffraction to be observed, the size of the object or gap must be comparable to or smaller than the wavelength of the waves. The person is wondering how diffraction can occur when the wavelength is longer than the gap and whether it would be blocked. They also express confusion about the role of wavelength in diffraction and compare it to the size of light. The expert suggests that the person analyze their understanding of the concept and points out that there is no connection between wavelength and physical size in the physics of light. They also provide an analogy of water and
coconut62
I was wondering if diffraction of a wave can occur when the gap through which the wave passes is shorter than the wavelength itself. Then I came across this website

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0015966.html

Which says that "In order for this effect to be observed, the size of the object or gap must be comparable to or smaller than the wavelength of the waves."

I would like to know how can diffraction occur when the wavelength is longer than the gap? Wouldn't it be blocked?

I don't really understand the mechanism here because every illustration I met just showed some straight and curve lines "as a whole" without drawing out what happens to each single wavelength.

Science news on Phys.org
The wavelength has nothing to do with the size of light, or anything within the wave picture of light. It isn't an "object".

I think you need to do some self-analysis of what you know that made you associate the wavelength with a physical size. There's nothing in the physics that would associate those two characteristics together.

As an analogy, do you see water waves going through openings smaller than its wavelength? Or what about sound going through a very tiny hole?

Zz.

Related to How can diffraction occur with gap smaller than the wavelength?

1. How does diffraction occur with a gap smaller than the wavelength?

Diffraction occurs when waves encounter an obstacle or a slit that is smaller than their wavelength. This causes the waves to bend and spread out as they pass through the gap, creating a pattern of interference and diffraction.

2. Can diffraction occur with a gap that is much smaller than the wavelength?

Yes, diffraction can still occur with very small gaps, as long as the gap is smaller than the wavelength of the waves. However, the amount of diffraction will be less pronounced compared to when the gap is closer in size to the wavelength.

3. What factors affect the amount of diffraction that occurs with a small gap?

The amount of diffraction that occurs with a small gap can be affected by the wavelength of the waves, the size of the gap, and the distance between the gap and the screen or observation point.

4. How can we visualize diffraction with a gap smaller than the wavelength?

Diffraction with a small gap can be visualized using a laser pointer and a razor blade. Shine the laser through the gap and observe the pattern of diffraction on a screen behind the gap. The pattern will appear as a series of bright and dark fringes.

5. Can diffraction with a small gap be used in practical applications?

Yes, diffraction with a small gap has practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and radio waves. It is used in technologies such as diffraction gratings, which are used in spectroscopy to separate different wavelengths of light, and in antennas for radio communication.