How Can DFT Methods Model Twin Energy in Crystals?

In summary, to model crystal twinning using DFT methods, you can use software like VESTA or Materials Studio to create a crystal structure with the desired twin angle, or manually create a supercell with the desired twin angle using scripting languages. You can also use the twin energy equation to determine the most stable twin angle for your system.
knghrts17
Hello all,

I am attemtping to model crystal twinning using DFT methods. In particular I wish to look at the twin energy as a function of twin angle in a hcp system. I am running into difficulty however in attempting to create my repeat unit prior to my calculations. I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions on how to do this. For example, say I wished to have a twin angle [tex]\theta[/tex] = 30o. How could I go about defining this given a defect free (perfect) bulk crystal.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am also a scientist working with DFT methods and I have some suggestions for you.

Firstly, when creating your repeat unit, you can consider using software such as VESTA or Materials Studio to build your crystal structure with the desired twin angle. These software allow you to manipulate the crystal structure and create twin boundaries at specific angles.

Alternatively, you can also use the lattice parameters of the perfect bulk crystal and manually create a supercell with the desired twin angle using a scripting language like Python or MATLAB. This may require some trial and error to find the correct lattice parameters for the desired twin angle.

Additionally, you can try using the twin energy equation derived from DFT calculations to calculate the energy of the twin boundary at different angles. This will give you an idea of the energy landscape and help you determine the most stable twin angle for your system.

I hope these suggestions will be helpful for your research. Good luck!

Related to How Can DFT Methods Model Twin Energy in Crystals?

1. What is the purpose of modelling crystal twins?

The purpose of modelling crystal twins is to understand the formation and growth of twin boundaries in crystals, which play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of materials.

2. What methods are commonly used for modelling crystal twins?

The most commonly used methods for modelling crystal twins are molecular dynamics simulations, Monte Carlo simulations, and phase field simulations.

3. How do crystal twins form?

Crystal twins form when two or more crystals grow together with a specific orientation relationship, resulting in a shared boundary or interface between the crystals.

4. What factors affect the formation of crystal twins?

The formation of crystal twins is influenced by factors such as temperature, strain, impurities, and crystal defects. These factors can alter the growth of crystals and lead to the formation of twins.

5. How do crystal twins impact material properties?

Crystal twins can significantly affect the mechanical, electrical, and optical properties of materials. They can also affect the strength, ductility, and fracture resistance of crystals, making them an important consideration in materials design and engineering.