How Can Circular Motion Principles Solve Real-World Physics Problems?

In summary, the conversation covers three different problems related to angular acceleration and centripetal acceleration. The first problem involves calculating the angular acceleration of a tire on a balancing machine, while the second problem deals with finding the number of revolutions a tub turns before coming to a stop in a washing machine. The final problem asks for the centripetal accelerations at different points on the Earth. The conversation also includes discussions on converting units and setting up equations to solve these types of problems.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with these problems?

1.A tire placed on a balancing machine in a service station starts from rest and turns through 5.5 revs in 1.2 s before reaching its final angular speed. Assuming that the angular acceleration of the wheel is constant, calculate the wheel's angular acceleration.

--- I know you have to chance rev per s into revs per min into rad per s. So i did 5.5/(1.2/60)=275 rpm x (2pi/60)=28.8 rad/s. Is that right?
After I got that i used the formula vf=vi+at so 28.8=0+1.2. My time might be wrong but I was sure what to do.

2. The tub within a washer goes into its spin cycle, starting from rest and reaching an angular speed of 16pi rad/s in 5.0 s. At this point, the lid is opened, and a safety switch turns off the washer. The tub slows to rest in 14.0 s. Through how many revolutions does the tub turn? Assume constant angular acceleration while the machine is starting and stopping.

I chanced 16pi into 50.3 rad/s, and converted that to 480 rpms. The next part is where I get stuck. How would I set up the constant angular acceleration problem to help me get the revelutions. I know how to find the acceleration, but what would I do next?

3. (a)Find the centripetal accelerations of a point on the equator of Earth.
(b) Find the centripetal accelerations of a point at the North Pole of Earth

Physics news on Phys.org
1) is not quite right ... 5.5 (2 pi) [rad] /1.2 is the average angular speed,
not the final angular speed. (why convert [1/s] to [1/min] to [1/s] ?)

2) if you convert 16 pi [rad/s] into 8 [rev/s], you might realize how far it travels in 5 seconds. Don't forget that the average speed was 4 [rev/s]

For problem 1, your calculations are correct. The angular acceleration of the wheel can be found by using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final angular velocity, vi is the initial angular velocity (which is 0 in this case), and t is the time. So, the angular acceleration would be (28.8 rad/s - 0 rad/s)/1.2 s = 24 rad/s^2.

For problem 2, you can use the formula vf = vi + at to find the angular acceleration. In this case, vf is 0 rad/s (since the tub comes to rest), vi is 50.3 rad/s (converted from 16pi rad/s), and t is 14.0 s. So, the angular acceleration would be -3.59 rad/s^2 (negative sign indicates deceleration). To find the number of revolutions, you can use the formula θ = vi*t + (1/2)*a*t^2, where θ is the angular displacement, vi is the initial angular velocity, a is the angular acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, θ would be the number of revolutions, vi is 50.3 rad/s, a is -3.59 rad/s^2, and t is 14.0 s. Plugging in the values, you would get θ = 280.8 revolutions.

For problem 3, the formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where v is the tangential velocity and r is the radius of the circular motion. At the equator, the tangential velocity is equal to the linear velocity of Earth's rotation, which is approximately 1670 km/h (463.9 m/s). The radius of the Earth at the equator is approximately 6378 km (6,378,000 m). Plugging in the values, you would get a = (463.9 m/s)^2 / 6,378,000 m = 0.034 m/s^2. At the North Pole, the tangential velocity is 0, so the centripetal acceleration would also be 0.

Related to How Can Circular Motion Principles Solve Real-World Physics Problems?

1. What is circular motion of a tire?

Circular motion of a tire refers to the movement of a tire along a circular path. This type of motion is commonly seen in vehicles such as cars, bicycles, and motorcycles.

2. How does circular motion affect a tire?

Circular motion can cause the tire to experience centripetal and tangential forces. The centripetal force pulls the tire towards the center of the circular path, while the tangential force causes the tire to move along the path.

3. What factors affect the circular motion of a tire?

The speed of the vehicle, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the tire all affect the circular motion of a tire. In addition, the friction between the tire and the surface it is moving on can also impact the motion.

4. How does circular motion of a tire impact steering?

Circular motion can affect the steering of a vehicle by causing it to turn in the direction of the circular path. This is because the centripetal force pulls the tire towards the center of the path, causing the vehicle to change direction.

5. Can circular motion of a tire be harmful?

In certain situations, circular motion of a tire can be harmful. For example, driving at high speeds or making sharp turns for extended periods of time can put extra stress on the tire and potentially cause it to wear down or fail. It is important to properly maintain tires and drive within safe limits to prevent any potential harm from circular motion.