How can certain enzyme withstand extreme temperature

• Thread starter MinaGhobrial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an explanation on how certain enzymes, like taq enzyme and enzymes in archaea, are able to withstand extreme temperatures. The provided links offer potential leads for further research. It is mentioned that the thermostability of these enzymes is likely attributed to multiple factors and that even organisms like P. furiosus have their limitations in terms of temperature tolerance.
MinaGhobrial
I have searched several book and browsed the internet but found no explanation on how can certain enzymes withstand extreme temperature. What enables these enzyme to survive the denaturing process; enzymes such as taq enzyme and enzymes in archaea ?

Biology news on Phys.org
I just wanted to mention that thermostability is likely going to be attributed to multiple factors - that is, it's not going to be X, Y, or Z, it's likely going to be all of them (and other factors!) contributing. I can cite one example off the top of my head - the tungsten-containing aldehyde:ferredoxin oxidoreductase from P. furiosus had a greater number of residue-to-residue contacts than expected, as well as tighter "packing" and seemed to bury surface area more effectively. (If you need an informal reference, it's from the Rees lab at Caltech from the mid to late '90s. Otherwise, I'll have to look it up.)

Also, I would keep in mind that even something like P. furiosus tends to top out at ~ 100° C in terms of its growth behavior. It's not as if you can keep cranking up the heat and expect it to be fine! (I recall that its pH preferences are fairly well typical - prefers fairly neutral conditions but can tolerate a pH unit or so in either direction.)

Related to How can certain enzyme withstand extreme temperature

1. What is the role of enzymes in temperature tolerance?

Enzymes are proteins that act as catalysts in biochemical reactions. They help to speed up the rate of reactions by lowering the required activation energy. In extreme temperatures, enzymes play a crucial role in maintaining the stability and functionality of cells.

2. How do enzymes withstand high temperatures?

Enzymes have a unique structure that allows them to withstand high temperatures. They have a specific three-dimensional shape that is held together by strong bonds, such as hydrogen bonds and disulfide bonds. This structure makes them more resistant to denaturation at high temperatures.

3. What factors contribute to an enzyme's ability to withstand extreme temperatures?

Several factors influence an enzyme's ability to withstand extreme temperatures, including its amino acid sequence, the presence of stabilizing molecules, and the surrounding environment. Some enzymes have a higher proportion of heat-stable amino acids, while others may have additional structures, such as chaperones, that help to protect them from denaturation.

4. Can enzymes be modified to withstand extreme temperatures?

Yes, enzymes can be genetically engineered or modified through chemical methods to improve their stability and tolerance to extreme temperatures. This can involve altering the amino acid sequence to increase the proportion of heat-stable amino acids or incorporating stabilizing molecules into the enzyme's structure.

5. What are the potential applications of enzymes withstanding extreme temperatures?

Enzymes that can withstand extreme temperatures have various applications in industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. They can be used in processes that require high temperatures, such as brewing, baking, and sterilization. They can also be utilized in the production of heat-sensitive products, such as vaccines and enzymes used in molecular biology techniques.