How can any measure of a physical quantity be irrational?

In summary, any measure of a physical quantity can be irrational due to the existence of irrational numbers, which cannot be expressed as a simple fraction and have infinite decimal places. These irrational numbers, such as pi or the square root of 2, are necessary to accurately represent physical quantities in certain situations, and their irrationality does not diminish their usefulness in scientific calculations.
Kilo Vectors
Hello

Aren't all irrational numbers having an infinitely long decimal component? If so, how can any measure of a physical quantity be irrational?

the decimal component is infinitely long..but the magnitude of the physical quantity surely isnt?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Measured physical quantities (ignoring discrete counts) are not exact. They are compatible with a range of exact values and are, consequently, neither rational nor irrational.

The number you get and, perhaps, write down can't be irrational. But that is a problem with "measurement", not mathematics. If you, for example, draw a line segment, define its length to be "1", draw a perpendicular at one end of that line segment and, geometrically, mark of an equal length on this new segment, then the segment connecting the two endpoints will have length "square root of 2", an irrational number. But if you then measure that length (using a ruler with the original length as "1") you will NOT get exactly "square root of 2".

HallsofIvy said:
The number you get and, perhaps, write down can't be irrational. But that is a problem with "measurement", not mathematics. If you, for example, draw a line segment, define its length to be "1", draw a perpendicular at one end of that line segment and, geometrically, mark of an equal length on this new segment, then the segment connecting the two endpoints will have length "square root of 2", an irrational number. But if you then measure that length (using a ruler with the original length as "1") you will NOT get exactly "square root of 2".
I would disagree mildly. It is a problem with notation together with a problem of measurement. You cannot measure accurately enough to distinguish between rational and irrational. And most [but not all] notations make it difficult to write down irrationals. But one can write down pi, for example -- I just did.

I don't think there really is a disagreement because what I meant to say was that a measurement, that is written down, can't be irrational. Certainly, you can write down [itex]\pi[/itex] or [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] but you cannot measure a line segment and get either of those.

If there is a marker on your ruler labelled ##\pi## or ##\sqrt{2}##, you can get those results. I agree that one can then argue that the thing written down is a rational multiple of those units.

Last edited:
Likes Kilo Vectors
hello so in theory, if we have a triangle with two sides of 1 cm (theoretically they have been able to get its length to 1 m..) the hypotenuse when drawn should be root of 2 shouldn't it? except when we draw it, it won't be that because length is finite and it must not haave an infinite repeating decimal component.

Measurements are never "true" there is only the accepted value, a value that can be agreed to represent the magnitude of the physical quantity best. In theory though, assuming we can draw two lines of exactly 1 cm each perpendicular, then join them to make a triangle, we cannot obtain root of 2? but must round it off to some decimal places correct? isn't it wrong to say that it would be root 2 because of the never ending decimal component?! or is it correct because the decimal component gets smaller and smaller in the units of magnitude and so is negligible? (eg beyond 4 DP the difference is negligible, any statement like that?)

thank you for answers..

Last edited:
Kilo Vectors said:
hello so in theory, if we have a triangle with two sides of 1 cm (theoretically they have been able to get its length to 1 m..) the hypotenuse when drawn should be root of 2 shouldn't it? except when we draw it, it won't be that because length is finite and it must not haave an infinite repeating decimal component.
You seem to be misunderstanding "finite" and "infinite repeating decimal". How a number is represented in a specific numeration system has little to do with the nature of the number itself. The number represented by "1" in base 10, if written in base 3 has an "infinite repeating component"- 0.11111...

Measurements are never "true" there is only the accepted value, a value that can be agreed to represent the magnitude of the physical quantity best. In theory though, assuming we can draw two lines of exactly 1 cm each perpendicular, then join them to make a triangle, we cannot obtain root of 2? but must round it off to some decimal places correct? isn't it wrong to say that it would be root 2 because of the never ending decimal component?!
No. If, "in theory", with two lines of exactly 1cm length, perpendicular, the distance between their endpoints is exactly [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. There is no reason we "must" round it off. The problem appears to be that you do not know what a "number" is! You are mistaking the decimal representation of a number for the number itself.

thank you for answers..[/QUOTE]

Likes Kilo Vectors
HallsofIvy said:
You seem to be misunderstanding "finite" and "infinite repeating decimal". How a number is represented in a specific numeration system has little to do with the nature of the number itself. The number represented by "1" in base 10, if written in base 3 has an "infinite repeating component"- 0.11111... No. If, "in theory", with two lines of exactly 1cm length, perpendicular, the distance between their endpoints is exactly [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. There is no reason we "must" round it off. The problem appears to be that you do not know what a "number" is! You are mistaking the decimal representation of a number for the number itself.

thank you for answers..
[/QUOTE]

Ah ok Mr Ivy, thank you.

Last edited:
Is there a good explanation for what a number is?

Kilo Vectors said:
Is there a good explanation for what a number is?
The type of numbers we are talking about in the case at hand are the "real numbers". The nature of the real numbers is covered in a mathematical field called "real analysis". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_analysis.

Be warned that the term "real" is just a name. Do not take it as an indication that these numbers are really real in a physical sense. They're still just numbers.

Likes Kilo Vectors
jbriggs444 said:
The type of numbers we are talking about in the case at hand are the "real numbers". The nature of the real numbers is covered in a mathematical field called "real analysis". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_analysis.

Be warned that the term "real" is just a name. Do not take it as an indication that these numbers are really real in a physical sense. They're still just numbers.

Thank you Mr Briggs.

I am aware what real numbers, rational, irrational, integers are lol, or maybe not :eek:

HallsofIvy said:
How a number is represented in a specific numeration system has little to do with the nature of the number itself. The number represented by "1" in base 10, if written in base 3 has an "infinite repeating component"- 0.11111...
The base-10 number 1, when written as a base-3 number, is also 1.

In base 2, which might be what you were thinking of, 110 can be written as either 12 or as a repeating binary fraction 0.1111... (base-2).

In base 3, 0.1113... means ##\frac 1 3 + \frac 1 {3^2} + \frac 1 {3^3} + \dots##, which can be shown to converge to 1/2.

Likes HallsofIvy
Right. Thanks.

Are you talking about math or measurement? You never have a perfect triangle in real life, and you never can perfectly measure the hypotenuse using a ruler. But if you make the measurement very precisely, then you will get something very close to what math tells you.

Likes Kilo Vectors
Khashishi said:
Are you talking about math or measurement? You never have a perfect triangle in real life, and you never can perfectly measure the hypotenuse using a ruler. But if you make the measurement very precisely, then you will get something very close to what math tells you.

math, in some weird way..actually I know some basics of measurement science or theory (?) but this is a problem of measurement it seems and my knowledge of numbers was not enough to understand when I asked the question.

I know that the absolute error of a value is the measured value - accepted value where accepted value is the magnitude that can be agreed to represent the magnitude of the physical quantity best.

I guess my question was answered in the first few posts? it is neither a rational or irrational number, even though in theory it should be? I am actually still a little confused but i will surely come back when I have read up more on it (been a little occupied)..my apologies, i struggle with mathematic sometimes.

But I think you would mean if you measure it accurately, and not precisely as acoording to me:

accuracy is the degree of agreement between the measured and accepted value...
precision refers to the reproduce-ability of one measurement, it is related to the number of random errors in experimentation (inversely).

sorry sir, i know its nitpicking but don't want to get confused as i do very easily o0):oldbiggrin:

thank you for your answer,,i will surely be back shouldve done more reeading

i understand one cannot measure say, length to get an irratoinal number. I knew that beforehand, but it is a problem with measurement and must read some stuffs again.

Last edited:

Related to How can any measure of a physical quantity be irrational?

1. What is an irrational physical quantity?

An irrational physical quantity is a measurement that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, meaning it cannot be written as a simple fraction. Instead, it is a decimal number that continues infinitely without repeating. Examples of irrational physical quantities include the value of pi and the square root of 2.

2. How can a physical quantity be both irrational and measurable?

Although irrational numbers cannot be written as exact values, they can still be measured and approximated. For example, the value of pi can be approximated to 3.14 or 3.14159, which are rational numbers, but they are not exact representations of pi. Similarly, the square root of 2 can be approximated to 1.41 or 1.414, but it is not an exact value.

3. What is the significance of irrational physical quantities in science?

Irrational physical quantities are important in science because they often arise in natural phenomena and cannot be simplified or reduced. For example, the value of pi is essential in calculating the circumference and area of a circle, and the square root of 2 is necessary in finding the diagonal of a square. They also play a crucial role in mathematical models and equations used in various scientific fields.

4. Can irrational physical quantities be measured with complete accuracy?

No, irrational physical quantities cannot be measured with complete accuracy because they are infinite and cannot be fully represented. Therefore, any measurement or approximation of an irrational physical quantity will always have some degree of error. However, with advanced technology and precise instruments, scientists can measure irrational physical quantities to a very high degree of accuracy.

5. How do scientists handle irrational physical quantities in their calculations and experiments?

Scientists typically use approximations of irrational physical quantities in their calculations and experiments. They may also use mathematical techniques, such as rounding or truncation, to simplify the values and make them more manageable. Additionally, scientists may also use computer software or algorithms to calculate and handle irrational physical quantities in their research.