How can a torque be derived for a moving dipole without external fields?

In summary, the problem is that there is no external E or B field, just a dipole that moves with a speed v in the x direction. The dipole is oriented with +q at (d,d,0) and -q @ (-d,-d,0) and the torque is derived from the maxwell's equation without relativistic corrections. It was proposed to use a similar setup to measure the absolute velocity of a body in space, but I don't think it would work.
tavsaito
I am at a loss for how to start this problem.
t = r x F and F = q(E + v x B) i know but there is no external E or B field its just a dipole that moves with a speed v in the x direction the dipole is oriented with +q at (d,d,0) and -q @ (-d,-d,0)

how do i derive a torque?

Physics news on Phys.org
tavsaito said:
I am at a loss for how to start this problem.
t = r x F and F = q(E + v x B) i know but there is no external E or B field its just a dipole that moves with a speed v in the x direction the dipole is oriented with +q at (d,d,0) and -q @ (-d,-d,0)

how do i derive a torque?

If there is no external E or B field, there should not be any torque. Are you sure you've stated the problem correctly?

yes there are no external E or B fields i think it has to do with relativity. the one particle creates a E field in its own frame which becomes distorted when it moves allowing there to be a non parallel component.

the problem is.

Consider two point charges +/- q embedded on a square dielectric in the x-y plane the dielectric is a perfect insulator and the charges cannot move or be neutralized. Assume that i) the origin of the coordinates is in the center of the square and the positive and negative charges are respectively at (d,d,0) and (-d,-d,0) and ii) the square dielectric is moving at velocity (V,0,0).
a) derive an expression for the torque on the system. Calculate E and B from maxwell's equations but without relativistic corrections
b) It was proposed to use a similar set up to measure the absolute velocity of a body in space. For example this could be used to detect the velocity of Earth in its rotation around the sun. Do you think such an experiment would work? If necessary in your explanations, use the relativistically correct expressions for the E and B fields cause by each charge at the others position.

Solution: Basically were asking to prove that it wasnt possible unless taken in a relativistic regime. See the Right-Angle (Lewis-Tolman) Paradox where you can observe a torque in the moving frame but it does not result in any actual rotation

Related to How can a torque be derived for a moving dipole without external fields?

1. What is torque on a moving dipole?

Torque on a moving dipole refers to the force that causes rotation on a dipole (a pair of equal and opposite charges) while it is in motion. It is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

2. How is torque on a moving dipole calculated?

The torque on a moving dipole can be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the dipole moment (the distance between the charges multiplied by the magnitude of the charges). This can be represented mathematically as T = E * p.

3. What is the direction of torque on a moving dipole?

The direction of the torque on a moving dipole is perpendicular to both the electric field strength vector and the dipole moment vector. It follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the dipole moment and the fingers point in the direction of the electric field.

4. How does torque on a moving dipole affect its motion?

Torque on a moving dipole can cause the dipole to rotate or align itself with the direction of the electric field. If the dipole is free to rotate, it will align itself with the electric field and move in a circular motion. If the dipole is fixed, the torque will cause it to rotate around its axis of rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque on a moving dipole?

Torque on a moving dipole is involved in various phenomena such as the rotation of molecules in a magnetic field, the movement of motors and generators, and the behavior of compass needles. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).