How Can a Bijective Function Demonstrate the Cardinality of a Cartesian Product?

In summary, the set $n \times m$ is equinumerous with the natural number $n \cdot m$ and thus $n \times m \sim n \cdot m$. We picked a function $f$ that is bijective and surjective, and so the cardinality of $n \times m$ is $n \cdot m$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The set $n \times m$ is equinumerous with the natural number $n \cdot m$ and thus $n \times m \sim n \cdot m$, i.e. $Card(n \times m)=n \cdot m$.
Which bijective function could we pick in order to show the above? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really sure what you mean by "the set $n \times m$", generally the cartesian product is defined in terms of two sets, not two natural numbers. But I'm going to interpret your notation as the cartesian product of two sets of cardinality $n$ and $m$ respectively, in which case one suitable bijection from "the set $n \times m$" to a set of $n \cdot m$ natural numbers could be:
$$(i, j) \mapsto mi + j$$
Such that for instance given $n = 2$ and $m = 3$, we have (if your natural numbers start at 1, just adjust the formula accordingly):
$$(0, 0) \mapsto 3 \cdot 0 + 0 = 0$$
$$(0, 1) \mapsto 3 \cdot 0 + 1 = 1$$
$$(0, 2) \mapsto 3 \cdot 0 + 2 = 2$$
$$(1, 0) \mapsto 3 \cdot 1 + 0 = 3$$
$$(1, 1) \mapsto 3 \cdot 1 + 1 = 4$$
$$(1, 2) \mapsto 3 \cdot 1 + 2 = 5$$
And we see that this is indeed a bijection, and "the set $2 \times 3$" has cardinality $2 \cdot 3 = 6$ as expected. You can prove that this mapping is a bijection for any $n$ and $m$ easily by observing that $0 \leq j < m$ and using the notions of quotient and remainder...​

How do we know that $m \cdot i+j \in n \cdot m$? (Worried)

evinda said:
How do we know that $m \cdot i+j \in n \cdot m$? (Worried)

Because $0 \leq i \leq n - 1$ and $0 \leq j \leq m - 1$. Doesn't that imply that $0 \leq m \cdot i + j \leq n \cdot m - 1$?

Bacterius said:
Because $0 \leq i \leq n - 1$ and $0 \leq j \leq m - 1$. Doesn't that imply that $0 \leq m \cdot i + j \leq n \cdot m - 1$?

I see... (Nod)

You can prove that this mapping is a bijection for any $n$ and $m$ easily by observing that $0 \leq j < m$ and using the notions of quotient and remainder...
Could you explain me further how we can show that the function is bijective? (Thinking)

We've shown that if $(i, j) \in n \times m$ (to reuse your notation) then $0 \leq m \cdot i + j \leq n \cdot m - 1$, right? So the range of the mapping function $f((i, j)) = m \cdot i + j$ is the set of natural numbers from $0$ to $n \cdot m - 1$ inclusive (which contains $n \cdot m$ natural numbers).

To show that $f$ is surjective, use the properties of Euclidean division - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to show that for every $0 \leq x \leq n \cdot m - 1$, there exist natural numbers $i$ and $j$ such that $x = m \cdot i + j$ and $0 \leq i \leq n - 1$, $0 \leq j \leq m - 1$. Then $(i, j) \in n \times m$ and $f$ must be surjective.

To show that $f$ is injective, suppose that there existed two pairs of natural numbers $(i_1, j_1)$ and $(i_2, j_2)$ such that:
$$m \cdot i_i + j_1 = m \cdot i_2 + j_2$$
Suppose without loss of generality that $i_1 \leq i_2$ and $j_1 \leq j_2$, then that would imply that:
$$m \cdot (i_2 - i_1) + (j_2 - j_1) = 0$$
But both $i_2 - i_1$ and $j_2 - j_1$ are $\geq 0$, and $m$ is positive, so the only way this can hold is if $i_1 = i_2$ and $j_1 = j_2$. So $f$ is injective.

$\therefore$ $f$ is bijective, and so the cardinality of $n \times m$ is $n \cdot m$. Does that make it clearer? In fact, the Euclidean division theorem already guarantees that the integers $(i, j)$ are unique, so it technically gives you injectivity for free. But it doesn't hurt to prove it ourselves.​

Related to How Can a Bijective Function Demonstrate the Cardinality of a Cartesian Product?

What is the cartesian product n x m?

The cartesian product n x m is a mathematical operation in which each element of one set is paired with each element of another set to create a new set. The resulting set contains all possible combinations of the elements from the two original sets.

How is the cartesian product n x m calculated?

To calculate the cartesian product n x m, you simply multiply the number of elements in set n by the number of elements in set m. The resulting number is the number of elements in the cartesian product set. For example, if set n has 3 elements and set m has 4 elements, the cartesian product n x m will have 3 x 4 = 12 elements.

What is the difference between the cartesian product n x m and the cartesian power nm?

The cartesian product n x m and the cartesian power nm are both mathematical operations that involve combining elements from two sets. However, the cartesian product n x m creates a new set that contains all possible combinations of the elements from the two original sets, while the cartesian power nm creates a new set that contains all possible sequences of length m using elements from the original set n.

What is the significance of the cartesian product n x m in mathematics?

The cartesian product n x m has various applications in mathematics, including set theory, combinatorics, and graph theory. It allows us to represent and analyze relationships between two sets of objects, and it is also used in the construction of new mathematical structures such as groups, rings, and fields.

Can the cartesian product n x m be applied to infinite sets?

Yes, the cartesian product n x m can be applied to infinite sets as well. In this case, the resulting set will also be infinite. For example, the cartesian product of the set of all natural numbers and the set of all real numbers will result in an infinite set of ordered pairs.