How Can a Balancing Scale Help Solve the Mystery of the Counterfeit Coin?

• Thread starter SchoolBoyDJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Type
In summary, the conversation is about solving a coin-weighing problem where there are 12 coins, one of which is counterfeit. The only tool allowed to solve the problem is a balancing scale and it may only be used three times. The conversation provides a hint to label the coins and suggests using a decision tree approach. The conversation also acknowledges the difficulty of the problem and the importance of starting with groups of 4 coins.
SchoolBoyDJ
I just started physics this year, and we were assigned our first problem today. Before I continue I'd just like to stress that I am not looking for an answer. Just a hint, or something to help me out. Telling me that I'm on the right path would be helpful as well :smile:

Here's the problem:
-There are 12 coins, out of the 12 one is a counterfit.
-11 of the coins weigh the same, the counterfit weighs either more or less than a 'normal' coin.
-The only tool that may be used to solve this problem is a balencing scale, and it may be used only 3 times

So far I've come up with this:

Start off with 3 groups of 4 coins each.

Use Scale 1 Put two groups of 4 on each side of the scale, if they balence then you know that those 8 are all 'real' coins.

From here on I don't know what to do. I believe that you need to use groups of 4, but I'm not positive. What I do know is that you will need 2 procedures, 1 for if the first 2 groups balence, and one for if they don't.

Is my current thinking correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gee, I always hated such 'problems'... Okay.

Scaling 1. Put 4 coins on each side.
1a) equal weight => the different coin is among the 4 coins you're holding. Use Scaling 2 now and put 1 of these 4 coins on each side. 2a) equal weight => use Scaling 3 and put the two coins that are currently on the scale (and weigh equal) one the same side, no matter which one. Now, put the 2 coins on the other side. If that side goes down, you'll know the different coin is a heavier one, and you'll know which one it is because if felt (cheating?!:biggrin: ) heavier in your hands! If the other side goes up, you'll know the different one is a lighter one and you'll know which one it is.
2b) different weight => remember the position of the scale (which side is up, and which one is down). Now use scaling 3 to put the coins on the scale on the same side. Now, put the normal coins which you had in your hands on the other side. If the other side goes down, you'll know the different coin is a lighter one, and you'll know which one it is from scaling 2 (which side was up during scaling 2). If the other side goes up, you'll know the different coin is a heavier one, and you'll as well know which one it is from scaling 2.
1b) different weight => stuck here.. :zzz:

Coin-weighing problems can be modeled using decision trees. I won't go into depth about this but I will give you a hint: you need to label the coins.

radou said:
Gee, I always hated such 'problems'... Okay.

Scaling 1. Put 4 coins on each side.
1a) equal weight => the different coin is among the 4 coins you're holding. Use Scaling 2 now and put 1 of these 4 coins on each side. 2a) equal weight => use Scaling 3 and put the two coins that are currently on the scale (and weigh equal) one the same side, no matter which one. Now, put the 2 coins on the other side. If that side goes down, you'll know the different coin is a heavier one, and you'll know which one it is because if felt (cheating?!:biggrin: ) heavier in your hands! If the other side goes up, you'll know the different one is a lighter one and you'll know which one it is.
2b) different weight => remember the position of the scale (which side is up, and which one is down). Now use scaling 3 to put the coins on the scale on the same side. Now, put the normal coins which you had in your hands on the other side. If the other side goes down, you'll know the different coin is a lighter one, and you'll know which one it is from scaling 2 (which side was up during scaling 2). If the other side goes up, you'll know the different coin is a heavier one, and you'll as well know which one it is from scaling 2.
1b) different weight => stuck here.. :zzz:

This won't work because your proceedure needs to work. Everything needs to be written out, and work. No guessing, no weighing with hands etc :P

e(ho0n3 said:
Coin-weighing problems can be modeled using decision trees. I won't go into depth about this but I will give you a hint: you need to label the coins.

Ohhh...So there is a reason to my teachers madness. He had the 'coins' labeled with different letters. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

P.S. I was thinking more about this and I've gotten this far:

I had thought about the method the other person mentioned, and freaked out- I thought I had it all figured out, when I realized I hadn't found out if the fake coin was heavier or lighter than the others. What a bummer :cry:

Well I've confirmed that you must start with groups of 4.

hint: why don't you try taking some coins from here and there and weigh them together? Your grouping is correct but grouping sometimes is an unwanted restriction:smile:

Related to How Can a Balancing Scale Help Solve the Mystery of the Counterfeit Coin?

What is a brain teaser type problem?

A brain teaser type problem is a type of puzzle or riddle that challenges a person's critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These problems often require creative thinking and a different approach to find a solution.

Why are brain teasers important?

Brain teasers are important because they help exercise and improve cognitive skills such as problem-solving, logic, and reasoning. They also provide a fun and challenging way to keep your brain sharp.

What are some examples of brain teasers?

Examples of brain teasers include puzzles such as Sudoku, riddles, and logic problems. They can also be visual puzzles or word problems that require creative thinking to solve.

How do brain teasers benefit the brain?

Brain teasers benefit the brain by stimulating neural connections and increasing brain activity. They also help improve memory, concentration, and overall cognitive function.

Are brain teasers suitable for all ages?

Yes, brain teasers can be suitable for all ages. There are different levels of difficulty for brain teasers, so they can be tailored to different age groups. They can also be a fun activity for families or groups to do together.