How big does a magnet need to be to move X amount of KGs

In summary, the individual is working on a project to create a Mag-lev system and needs help understanding how magnet-motor force affects the movement of an external object. They are looking for an equation that combines magnet-motor force with the equation F=ma. They have researched the necessary conditions for the magnets but are struggling with understanding how it relates to the movement of an object. They are seeking clarification and assistance from others.
Will Stock
Hello all,

I'm working on a little side project to build something close to a Mag-lev system. I've researched loads around the magnets and have the info' on what conditions I need, current, Field strength, etc. But I'm having issues in finding how that relates to the movement of an external object. I was ideally looking for an equation that combines Magnet-motor force into something like F = MA. I'm really struggling on this so if anyone can shed some light on it, that would really be amazing.

Best regards~
W.S

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
since you already know how to calculate the force due to a magnet on a load, then you plug that into the F side of F=ma along with the other forces.
Note: it take zero force to move an object - force is what changes the motion.

Related to How big does a magnet need to be to move X amount of KGs

1. How does the size of a magnet affect its strength?

The size of a magnet does not directly determine its strength. The strength of a magnet is determined by its magnetic material and its magnetic field, which is a result of its atomic structure and alignment of its magnetic domains.

2. Is there a formula to calculate the size of a magnet needed to move a specific weight?

There is no one formula to calculate the size of a magnet needed to move a specific weight. The size and strength of a magnet needed depends on various factors such as the weight of the object, the distance between the magnet and the object, and the type of material the object is made of. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the magnet can also affect its strength.

3. Can a small magnet be stronger than a larger magnet?

Yes, a small magnet can be stronger than a larger magnet. The strength of a magnet is not solely determined by its size, but also by the type of magnetic material used and the magnet's magnetic field.

4. How can I determine the size of a magnet needed to lift or move a specific weight?

To determine the size of a magnet needed to lift or move a specific weight, you will need to consider factors such as the weight of the object, the distance between the magnet and the object, and the type of material the object is made of. You can also consult with a magnet expert or use online calculators that take these factors into account.

5. Can the strength of a magnet be increased by increasing its size?

Increasing the size of a magnet does not necessarily increase its strength. The strength of a magnet is determined by its magnetic material and its magnetic field, which can be affected by various factors such as temperature and the orientation of the magnet. Simply increasing the size of a magnet may not result in a significant increase in its strength.