How best to prepare for Jackson E&M?

In summary, I will be spending time reviewing the material from my old physics class and also focusing on vector calc and Diff Eq.
LGAUNT
Hello all,
Long story short, I am taking E&M course that uses Jackson, but in undergrad I only took 1 quarter of E&M (electrostatics).
With classes about a month away, what would a good way to prepare. I realize that it is not enough time, but I figured some prep would be better that nothing. Would it be better to read/work through an undergrad text on E&M (griffiths or schwartz) or to spend the time going over math concepts (possibly vector calc and diff eqs).
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you only took a quarter of intro E&M do not take Jackson. You simply aren't ready unless you're truly exceptional. Jackson assumes you know part 1 griffth pretty well. The math tools will go beyond vector calc and diff eqs. Why not just take a griffth course in E&M?

xdrgnh said:
If you only took a quarter of intro E&M do not take Jackson. You simply aren't ready unless you're truly exceptional. Jackson assumes you know part 1 griffth pretty well. The math tools will go beyond vector calc and diff eqs. Why not just take a griffth course in E&M?

I am in grad school, and it is required for my program.

What text did you use for that quarter of E@M. What math classes did you take so far?

xdrgnh said:
What text did you use for that quarter of E@M. What math classes did you take so far?

The text was Griffiths. I currently have both Griffiths and Schwartz. I took Linear Algebra, Vector Calc and Differential Equations. The Diff Eq class was an 'experimental' class that focused on applications (no rigor) and mainly covered just ODE's, so that will probably hurt me. A physics class that I took had an integrated math methods part to it, but I definitely do not recall most of it.

I fully expect to spend a lot of time on the course and to make friends in the course to study with. I do not have to TA, so that leaves a little bit of extra time. I am basically trying to prioritize what to look over, my lack of E&M or brushing up on math skills.

LGAUNT said:
I am basically trying to prioritize what to look over, my lack of E&M or brushing up on math skills.
You will be well-served by having seen more than electrostatics by the time you start--especially magnetostatics, induction, Maxwell's equations, waves, and relativity. Use Griffiths. (Schwartz is a lovely book, but you don't really have time to start something new.) As for vector calc, it will be clear from the physics whether you need to brush up on it or not. A bit of review of orthogonal functions and complex variables would be great if you have time. Plan on working hard this year and seeking a lot of assistance.

Well if you already took Griffth then you theoretically have the prerequisite. If you took Griffth then you probably learned about the boundary value problem and have some experiences solving PDEs. Make sure you are comfortable with those.

Thanks xdrgnh and marcusl for the replies. I have decided to make revisiting the electrostatics chapters in griffiths the top priority and looking over a mathematical physics text depending on how far I progress.

Related to How best to prepare for Jackson E&M?

1. How much time should I spend studying for Jackson E&M?

The amount of time you should spend studying for Jackson E&M will depend on your individual learning style and current level of understanding. However, a good rule of thumb is to dedicate at least 2-3 hours of focused studying per credit hour of the course.

2. What materials should I use to study for Jackson E&M?

In addition to the required course materials, it is helpful to use supplemental materials such as textbooks, online resources, practice problems, and study guides. It may also be beneficial to form a study group with classmates to review material and discuss difficult concepts.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for Jackson E&M?

To improve your problem-solving skills for Jackson E&M, it is important to understand the underlying physics concepts and equations. Practice solving a variety of problems and work on breaking them down into smaller, manageable steps. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from your instructor or TA when faced with challenging problems.

4. How should I approach studying for exams in Jackson E&M?

To effectively study for exams in Jackson E&M, it is important to start early and review material consistently throughout the course. Make sure to understand the key concepts and equations, and practice solving problems. It may also be helpful to create study guides and use flashcards to review important information.

5. Are there any specific topics or areas I should focus on for Jackson E&M?

While all topics covered in Jackson E&M are important, it may be helpful to focus on areas that you struggle with the most. This could include topics such as electric fields, Gauss's Law, or Maxwell's equations. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of electromagnetism before moving on to more complex topics.