How are Vectors described in Bispherical Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a vector field in terms of its three components: ##A_σ,A_τ,A_φ##, with σ, τ, and φ being the three bispherical coordinates. The participants also explore the meaning of the components and how they relate to bipolar and normal coordinates. They also discuss the use of differential geometry in finding distances and use an example of an electric field in a scientific paper to illustrate the concept. The conversation concludes with the request to post a link to the paper for further understanding.
tade
I was reading a paper that described a vector field in terms of its three components , ##A_σ,A_τ,A_φ##.
with σ, τ and φ being the three bispherical coordinates.

what does ##A_σ## mean? In what direction does the component point? Likewise for the other two components.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking up the definition?

Simon Bridge said:
Have you tried looking up the definition?
yes but to no avail. I couldn't find anything remotely related.

in bipolar coordinates, is the σ component the component of the vector tangential to the σ circle?

I can't be certain about how it works in 3D bispherical coordinates though.

also, in bipolar coordinates the τ and σ circles intersect at two points, how does one specify a specific point?

Hey tade.

Usually it means a vector basis component if it is written in that form.

In differential geometry, the basis vectors are curved instead of straight and follow what is called a geodesic or a curved path instead of a straight line.

chiro said:
Hey tade.

Usually it means a vector basis component if it is written in that form.

In differential geometry, the basis vectors are curved instead of straight and follow what is called a geodesic or a curved path instead of a straight line.
I see. that sounds rather confusing. do you have a diagram that shows how to obtain ##A_σ,A_τ,A_φ## from a "straight arrow" Euclidean vector?

The vector field in question is an electric field. Standard electrostatics. Though the paper uses bispherical coordinates due to the nature of the system.

In normal geometry the arrows are straight and you write a point as a linear combination of them.

In differential geometry the arrows are curved and instead of doing distance via the normal metric you use a thing like a metric tensor to find the distance between two points.

Basically the vectors are curved which means you have to invoke differential geometry and look at the distance in terms of arc-length across a manifold instead of the standard distance formula via the Pythagorean theorem and inner products in R^n.

Also, in bipolar coordinates the τ and σ circles intersect at two points, how does one specify a specific point?
chiro said:
In normal geometry the arrows are straight and you write a point as a linear combination of them.

In differential geometry the arrows are curved and instead of doing distance via the normal metric you use a thing like a metric tensor to find the distance between two points.

Basically the vectors are curved which means you have to invoke differential geometry and look at the distance in terms of arc-length across a manifold instead of the standard distance formula via the Pythagorean theorem and inner products in R^n.
I'm still confused, so I want to cut to the chase. Am I allowed to post a scientific paper here? Its only 3 pages. It'll help to get my point across.

You can definitely try and post a link.

If the moderators will ban the link then they will do so but I don't see the harm in showing us the information.

C1_elec_1.png

Imagine a line that connects the centers of both spheres. I want to know what the value of the electric field along this line is when its magnitude is at its strongest.

I believe that the field is at its strongest at the surface of either sphere . The equations for the electric field have been derived but idk how to make sense of them.

chiro said:
You can definitely try and post a link.

If the moderators will ban the link then they will do so but I don't see the harm in showing us the information.
just a heads up that I've replied.

Related to How are Vectors described in Bispherical Coordinates?

1. What are Bispherical Coordinates?

Bispherical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of two spherical coordinates, which are typically denoted as (r, θ) and (r, φ), and a third coordinate, denoted as η, which lies between the two spheres.

2. How are Bispherical Coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

Bispherical coordinates are unique in that they use two different spherical coordinates instead of the more commonly used Cartesian coordinates. This allows for a more intuitive representation of points in three-dimensional space, especially for curved surfaces or objects.

3. How are Vectors described in Bispherical Coordinates?

Vectors in Bispherical Coordinates are described using the direction and magnitude of the vector, along with the coordinates of the point at which the vector is located. The direction of the vector is given by the angles θ and φ, while the magnitude is determined by the distance from the origin (r) and the angle η.

4. What are some common applications of Bispherical Coordinates?

Bispherical Coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and differential geometry. They are also useful for representing the positions of celestial objects in astronomy.

5. Are Bispherical Coordinates difficult to work with?

While Bispherical Coordinates may seem unfamiliar at first, they are not necessarily more difficult to use than other coordinate systems. With practice and a solid understanding of the underlying principles, working with Bispherical Coordinates can become intuitive and efficient.