How are the Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations traceless?

In summary: Some anomalies are very helpful. E.g., the trace anomaly in QCD explains most of the mass of the hadrons consisting of light quarks (u, d, s) or the axial anomaly comes to the rescue for the neutral-pion decay.That's correct. However, in the case of the axial anomaly, there's a workaround involving the Poynting vector.So then it would seem that QED theory has a quandary; no wonder so little progress has been made.What do you mean by "QED theory has a quandary"? I've no clue. The claim that "so little progress has been made" is just ridiculous particularly in the context of QED.What
swampwiz
I was reading this:

However, which only coincides with his final (correct) equation if the stress-energy tensor T (and hence also R) is traceless, i.e. that the sum of the elements on the main diagonal of the matrix trace are zero), which is true for Maxwell’s electrodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
The trace of the energy-momentum tensor of the electromagnetic field is ##{T^i}_i = \dfrac{1}{4\pi} \left\{{F^i}_j{F_i}^j - \dfrac{1}{4} \eta^i_i F_{jk} F^{jk} \right\}##. Since ##\eta^i_i = \delta^i_i = 4## and also ##{F^i}_j{F_i}^j = \eta^{ik} \eta_{il} F_{kj} F^{lj} = F_{lj} F^{lj}##, the bit inside the curly brackets vanishes.

Likes vanhees71
The reason is scale invariance of the free Maxwell equations. This symmetry is, however, very fragile since it's anomalously broken when quantizing the theory.

Likes ergospherical and dextercioby
vanhees71 said:
The reason is scale invariance of the free Maxwell equations. This symmetry is, however, very fragile since it's anomalously broken when quantizing the theory.
So then it would seem that QED theory has a quandary; no wonder so little progress has been made.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore and Dr Transport
What do you mean by "QED theory has a quandary"? I've no clue. The claim that "so little progress has been made" is just ridiculous particularly in the context of QED.

• Love
Likes Vanadium 50 and Delta2
vanhees71 said:
What do you mean by "QED theory has a quandary"? I've no clue. The claim that "so little progress has been made" is just ridiculous particularly in the context of QED.
Because the symmetry is broken when quantizing?

What's the problem with scale invariance broken? It's broken anyway as soon as you have a single massive particle in the game (and the electrons and positrons in standard minimal QED are such particles).

Some anomalies are very helpful. E.g., the trace anomaly in QCD explains most of the mass of the hadrons consisting of light quarks (u, d, s) or the axial anomaly comes to the rescue for the neutral-pion decay.

Related to How are the Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations traceless?

1. What are the Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations?

The Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations, also known as the Maxwell's equations, are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered fundamental laws of electromagnetism.

2. Why are the Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations traceless?

The Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations are traceless because they are derived from the principle of charge conservation. This means that the equations must hold true regardless of the reference frame, and thus they must be traceless to satisfy this condition.

3. What does it mean for the Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations to be traceless?

Being traceless means that the trace, or the sum of the diagonal elements, of the equations' matrices is equal to zero. In other words, the equations do not contain any terms that depend on the reference frame, making them universally applicable.

4. How do the Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations relate to electromagnetic waves?

The Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, which are the two components of an electromagnetic wave. These equations show how the fields interact with each other and with charged particles, leading to the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

5. Are there any exceptions to the traceless property of the Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations?

While the Maxwell's Electromagnetism equations are generally considered traceless, there are some situations where this property may not hold true. For example, in the presence of magnetic monopoles or in certain non-inertial reference frames, the equations may contain trace terms. However, these exceptions are not commonly encountered in most practical applications.